750 Ti on a 250W Psu

camohanna

Distinguished
I'm thinking of upgrading a computer that I bought for cheap online. It is one of those office type proprietary systems so I cannot replace the PSU and the card must be low profile.

My only real option is the 750 ti low profile - http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=AA57345&ref=pricespy

The psu is only 250W but since I have heard people running the 750 ti on sub 200W PSU's I'm guessing that this psu will be ok.

Full psu specs - http://image.prntscr.com/image/a275e04099c84853828cb99f7647e8da.png

The system came with an old HD 4350 installed that ran fine and consists of an i5-4430, 8gb ram, 1x HDD and 1x ODD.

Solution
that psu is not sufficient for a 750 ti.

wattage is not the main concern. the amps are not high enough to support that card. your psu is 16a, a 750 ti requires 20a.

on a side note, that is a 230w psu. it only outputs 230w max on the 12v rail, which is where the gpu will draw power.

another thing to consider is overloading a power supply consistently can have bad consequences. you could start a fire, you get less efficiency, you severely shorten its lifespan, it creates more heat, it could damage your components if it blows, and more.
that psu is not sufficient for a 750 ti.

wattage is not the main concern. the amps are not high enough to support that card. your psu is 16a, a 750 ti requires 20a.

on a side note, that is a 230w psu. it only outputs 230w max on the 12v rail, which is where the gpu will draw power.

another thing to consider is overloading a power supply consistently can have bad consequences. you could start a fire, you get less efficiency, you severely shorten its lifespan, it creates more heat, it could damage your components if it blows, and more.

Solution

neblogai

Distinguished
You could also wait for the release of RX460 and it's overcloking software on 29th of June. If it allows undercloking- this might be the best card for you both in terms of performance, and power required. The chip, Polaris11, when used in laptops, scores 7200 on 3DMark11 at 35W. 750Ti at 60W scores 6000. So you could get this RX460, maybe underclock it a bit from it's 50W/60W TDP, and still have faster GPU, as well as most recent functions like HEVC/H.265 video encoding and decoding up to 4K.