Will the fx 8300 work with Asrock 970 extreme 3

Badiux

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013
Hi everyone , so as the thread title says , i want to do some upgrading in the old pc.
current specs are Phenom 2 x4 965 be with stock cooler , Asrock 970 extreme 3 , 8gb corsair vengeance high profile ( yeah no need for the radiator but , wanted it for the looks) , r9 280x sapphire, corsair rm750 , all in an CM HAF X.
i was looking to buy the fx 8300 and an CM 212x or evo.
Question was regarding the fact that the mobo has 4+1 phases and i've read that it could have problems with the cpu because of vrm overheat even though it is listed as compatible on asrocks mobo page, and i was wondering if it would run the cpu in either stock freq or oc to an fx 8350's freq.
soo would you recommend the upgrade ? i've no budget for another mobo since that would have solved the problem completely . also would the 212x actualy have an impact in cooling the vrm or should i be looking for an blowdown type of cooler ?
Thanks in advance !

Solution
It's basically work fine but youVRM will push the maximum capability and generate extreme heat while taking care of your FX. There's a trick that maybe work, but your FX won't agree with it. Put an Air cooler with Airflow directly to the processor, the air also flow through the hsf and vrm heatsink, but in other side, FX processor need a better cooling solution, like a water cooling.
Overall, FX 83xx Work fine on ASRock 970 Extreme3, but you might also consider about VRM overheat, as they might kill themself over time because of extreme heat.

MCID47

Distinguished
It's basically work fine but youVRM will push the maximum capability and generate extreme heat while taking care of your FX. There's a trick that maybe work, but your FX won't agree with it. Put an Air cooler with Airflow directly to the processor, the air also flow through the hsf and vrm heatsink, but in other side, FX processor need a better cooling solution, like a water cooling.
Overall, FX 83xx Work fine on ASRock 970 Extreme3, but you might also consider about VRM overheat, as they might kill themself over time because of extreme heat.

Solution

hussainali88

Reputable
Feb 19, 2015
You need to go with blowdown cooler as I did.

Your board support CPUs up to 140W and the FX 8300 is just 95W.

I have FX 8320 with MSI 970A-G43 mobo and that MB doesn't have heatsink on VRM and my VRM reaches 100C and CPU throttle like hell.

At the beginning I thought it was problem with the CPU and after checking the temps I noticed the VRM was almost 100C during gaming !

I used to have the CPU with HAF 212 but that didn't do much, So I replaced it with GeminII M4 and it's running nice since then.

Your board got heat sink on the VRM unlike the motherboard I have which doesn't got VRM heat sink and with blower down cooler it should work just fine.

It's even mention on Asrock site.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970%20Extreme3/?cat=CPU

* For cooling the CPU and its surrounding components, please install a CPU cooler with a top-down blowing design.

Badiux

Honorable
Jul 27, 2013

Hey , thanks for the reply , guess it's blowdown cooler for me , could you suggest one that is good price/performance , was thinking of Scythe grand kama cross 3 .
http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/cpu-cooler/grand-kama-cross-3.html
seems pretty beefy to get the vrm too plus it wont be a problem with the high profile ram.
But i am open to suggestions !