100% usage on ssd while in game even though game installed on hdd

Mase98

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
Hi when i play games like cod:bo3 i have task manager running to check whats going on as i get stutters when i play games and theyre really annoying and trying to find a solution. Whilst in game the ssd drive i have with os on runs at 100% when usually running at 0% when on desktop, however the drive with the game actually installed, my hdd% only runs at about 30%? could this be causing the stutter and do you know why this is happening. Thanks

Solution
Exactly as I expected. Your RAM is nearly full, so it's starting to page it off to the SSD. As a rule of thumb if you're regularly seeing more than 50-60% of your RAM getting filled, it's time to upgrade. It's one of the most affordable upgrades that if neglected will take the biggest toll on performance.

There's plenty of articles about how to move or disable your pagefile. However you'll need to upgrade your RAM first, or it'll only make the situation worse. Without the pagefile, if your RAM gets full, it's BSOD time. On a HDD the pagefile is even slower, but at least it's not wearing out your SSD.

JaredDM

Honorable
I would guess this is due to your pagefile. How much RAM is in the system? If it's not adequate for the game it's likely paging the rest of what it needs to the SSD. This will seriously slow the system, and isn't good for the life of the SSD either. If you have plenty of RAM, you might even consider disabling the pagefile on the SSD and just leave one on the HDD for those few programs that really need it.

Mase98

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
Ive ran a mem test and it came back saying there were no errors or problems found. I also downloaded crystal disk info and it says that both my drives are in good condition with the hdd at 32celcius and the ssd at 37c

here is a screen shot of my task manager while the game is running: http://prntscr.com/bk0aaf

Mase98

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015

My specs are:
BenQ 144hz monitor
i7 4970k 4.0Ghz
8gb Ram 2300Mhz
Zotac AMP 980TI
Gigabyte Z97 motherboard
hyper 212 evo cooler

task manager in game: http://prntscr.com/bk0aaf

How would i go about changing the page profile that you mentioned, thanks

JaredDM

Honorable
Exactly as I expected. Your RAM is nearly full, so it's starting to page it off to the SSD. As a rule of thumb if you're regularly seeing more than 50-60% of your RAM getting filled, it's time to upgrade. It's one of the most affordable upgrades that if neglected will take the biggest toll on performance.

There's plenty of articles about how to move or disable your pagefile. However you'll need to upgrade your RAM first, or it'll only make the situation worse. Without the pagefile, if your RAM gets full, it's BSOD time. On a HDD the pagefile is even slower, but at least it's not wearing out your SSD.

Solution

Mase98

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015

Ok, thanks a lot for the help, I have found the make and model of the ram in my system and will order an additional set asap. i changed the pagefile over the HDD for the time being and disabled it on the SSD. You've been a great help cheers!!!