Fx-6300 vs used fx-8350 vs new fx-8350 With rx 470/480

Edvinbeast

Commendable
Jun 19, 2016
Hi y'all!

I'm planning on upgrading my PC seeing how my MSI 750 TI and my FX -4350 is about to be quite outdated soon.

I'm planning on getting myself either a RX 470 or a RX 480 and spend what's left on a AMD Cpu (as i don't want to switch motherboard to get a Intel cpu xP)

The problem here is that I don't know which CPU + GPU combo that will give me the greatest performance.

My options are getting the...
RX 480 with a FX-6300
RX 480 with a second hand (not OCed) fx-8350
RX 470 with a fx-6300 with a watter cooler
or a RX 470 brand new FX-8350

I'm really confused and I would really appreciate your answers! x)

Solution
480 with the secondhand 8350 AS LONG AS YOU CAN FIND SOMEONE WHO IS REPUTABLE. Don't get one from Joe Schmo's Ebay that has no information on it. You can always overclock it later as long as you have a semi decent air cooler, should be able to hit somewhere around 4.4GHz on a decent aftermarket air cooler. Wouldn't recommend an AIO with an AMD CPU, especially not a 6xxx, as you can just buy the better 8xxx series CPU instead, and not have to buy the AIO.

genthug

Honorable
480 with the secondhand 8350 AS LONG AS YOU CAN FIND SOMEONE WHO IS REPUTABLE. Don't get one from Joe Schmo's Ebay that has no information on it. You can always overclock it later as long as you have a semi decent air cooler, should be able to hit somewhere around 4.4GHz on a decent aftermarket air cooler. Wouldn't recommend an AIO with an AMD CPU, especially not a 6xxx, as you can just buy the better 8xxx series CPU instead, and not have to buy the AIO.

Solution

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I haven't seen any serious test results from the RX cards yet. But if the 470 is supposed to be the equivalent of the GTX 970, I'd say get that. Any faster card will be bottlenecked by the FX-8350 at stock speeds.
As for the CPU, definitely get the FX-8350. New if you can afford it, used if you find a reputable seller and know the chip hasn't had its life shortened by poor OC'ing techniques.