I have a i7 3770 and im using the stock cooler on idle its going up to 70 degrees according to hw monitor i just switched on..

K1LLSW1TCH1

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2016
Im looking to buy a cpu cooler i did have a hyper 212 evo but it broke and im looking to get a new one for now i have had to put the stock cooler back on and im worried as its going up to temps of 70 degrees on idle lol i live in the uk and im looking to buy off of amazon any suggestions are helpful thanks guys

Dugimodo

Distinguished
That's too hot. I used a 3770 for about 18 months and only had a stock cooler. IT idled in the 30-40 range and would get to around 80 when stress tested but never hit 70+ in normal use. Either your monitor software is incorrect or the cooler is not mounted properly, those push pins can be tricky.

Check the temperature in BIOS and see if it agrees with the software you are using. If it does check that all 4 push pins are securely locked down. You may need to remove it and clean both surfaces and put some new heatsink paste on and remount. Are you sure your CPU is actually Idle as well?

There is absolutely no need for an aftermarket cooler on a non- K CPU at stock speeds, the stock cooler is perfectly fine. Maybe if you regularly load the CPU to 100% it may be worthwhile.

K1LLSW1TCH1

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2016

Well no i did just mount it literally and i did check all the pins were securely pushed in and no sorry that was wrong it was not idle i was opening programs that was my bad wording sorry, and i just put new paste on i just literally changed my coolers as my 212 just broken literally now i guess i can check again

K1LLSW1TCH1

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2016

but im playing wow now and it has just gone past 80 degrees spike and now at around 60-70 degrees so idk whats up it is hot in my room tho its a very hot night

While Intel's stock coolers are known for being less than ideal, they shouldn't be as bad as your describing.

You mentioned putting new paste on...

Did you clean the chip and heat sink before applying the paste? Did the stock heat sink have a TIM (Thermal Interface Material) pad on the base where it attaches to the IHS (Integrated Heat Spreader) of the CPU?

If you have both paste and a TIM between your CPU and heat sink, you may be insulating the connection rather than encouraging good heat transfer.

One assumes that since you only just applied the heat sink, the blades of the heat sink are free of obstructions such as dust.

Is the fan on the heat sink set to run at an unusually low setting, perhaps? Check your BIOS and set the fan higher if possible.

K1LLSW1TCH1

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2016

yeah ive done it a lot i cleaned the old paste off completly on both surfaces and applied new paste on the heat sink i will check in the bios but im not sure what is wrong it is hot in my room i mean idk if that would make it this bad im playing league and its hovering around 70-=80 degrees according to hw monitor the stock cooler is at 2k plus rpm so it should be cranked up

Having a high ambient room temperature will directly influence your results. A heat sink and fan combination is really only going to give you a difference in temperature from your base temperature in your room there to where you are at now. The better the cooling apparatus, the closer to ambient you'll be. The lower the ambient, the lower the max temperature you will hit.

Are you certain you have the heat sink that was intended to be mounted on your 3770? Maybe you accidentally mounted one intended for a lower TDP processor?

K1LLSW1TCH1

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2016

well i had this pc built in a shop i have had it for about 4 years this processor and have not changed anything at all

K1LLSW1TCH1

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2016

well i have a 212 evo before this and the temps were fine like around 60 degrees on full load 70 degrees sometimes so idk what is wrong