Will the FX 6300 bottleneck the AMD RX 480?

Aamir Ahamed

Reputable
May 3, 2014
Currently I have GTX 650Ti 2GB.
I have a 1920x1080 60Hz monitor.
I have a FX 6300 which i haven't and don't intend on overclocking.
Would the upcoming RX 480 be a good upgrade? I plan on playing BF1, CSGO and Dota 2 on it.
I just need 60fps on maybe High settings for BF4 and BF1 and maybe 120fps for CSGO and Dota2.

Thanks,
Aamir

Solution
I told you how to test.
lowering the resolution will tell you how much FPS your CPU can provide.
With better graphics card, you will be able to achieve them on higher resolution with higher settings

Stop throwing this "bottlenecking" bullshit around.
CPU is not bottlenecking GPU.
any of them will have or not have enough performance to run specific app.
If app/game is CPU intensive, it will poorly perform with this CPU.
Graphics intensive apps/games will benefit from GPU upgrade.

We get plenty of people on here stating 'my gpu is not fully utilised' dig into it and FX's are normally the processor. So yes they do bottleneck high end cards in some circumstances.

Your test is somewhat simplistic as you are assuming no relationship at all between settings and CPU load.

You will never get to a situation where there is no component that limits application performance.
RAM is also important and some games can get 15% more FPS by switching to a faster memory.
So it's fine to have not fully utilized GPU or CPU. I have not seen any game utilizing 100% of my cpu. That's not the reason to cry that "my GPU is bottlenecking my CPU"
This simplistic test is reliable to determine if the OP will benefit from GPU upgrade.

I understand bottlenecks and constraints.

The poster is asking, in effect, will I get all of the benefit from a 480 given that I have a 6300. The answer is probably not. The poster can the decide if this is an issue, and if there are other upgrades that they may want to do.

The current AMD batch of CPU's is not great and will often constrain higher end GPU's. Yes there will always be a constraint somewhere.

I'm aware of the question meaning and this CPU performance level. Hence a simple test for the OP to have information to make his decision.
I have no idea how much more FPS (if at all) he will get. The 480 will have much more power than 650ti. and if his CPU is able to do what he wants (and i'm sure it will or almost will) why not to upgrade.
I also see no reason to match the GPU to CPU in upgrades. It's best to get the best part within your budget and have headroom when upgrading CPU or whatever else.

It's important to get the best part, but it's equally important to get a part that compliments your existing ones. By your logic, you could pair a Celeron G1820 with a GTX 1080.

If you did upgrade to a high-end GPU with the intention of upgrading the CPU later on, what do you do in the meantime? How long will it be before you can afford that CPU upgrade?

ShadyHamster

Distinguished

Just because a game isn't using 100% of your CPU doesn't mean it's not holding you back.
If a game can only take advantage of 2 cores then you will never see 100% CPU usage on a 6 core CPU.

You will still see a decent performance increase upgrading from a GTX 650Ti to an RX 480.
An R9 290/GTX 970 is where AMD CPUs start holding you back, it will differ from game to game though.

lol... I'll take it to extreme too. By your logic he should first get 128 cpu cores rig before even considering upgrading GPU.
The OP clearly stated what GPU he is considering. It's a very good mid-range part. He will have better FPS with his current CPU. May be not as good as with i5 or i7, but better than now.
I'm out of here and this pointless debate since you are obviously a member "bottlenecking" crowd.

jtk2515

Distinguished
Just get a Used 970 or 480 and just play Games till you can afford a better CPU. You can look at benchmarks on Youtube of people playing 1080p GTAV in the 35-45 FPS. Playable. Then when you got the cash get a better CPU ez as that.

Aamir Ahamed

Reputable
May 3, 2014
Guys, will I get a significant benefit if i upgrade from GTX 650Ti?
@jtk2515.. how do I upgrade my CPU lol.. there's like a small difference between the 6300 and 8350.. and plus to go to the Intel side I need to buy a new mobo aswell.. which I don't want to do as I don't have that much cash right now.

So guys please come to a conclusion whether it would increase my FPS. I don't mind if I get 60 fps even at high settings..

Aamir Ahamed

Reputable
May 3, 2014

Should I test this with CSGO?

the above test results, mean that your games now limited by weak GPU. That means that you will get most benefit from upgrading your video card. RX 480 seems like excellent choice.
Th blur is because of upscaling. the picture is considerably smaller -> less pixels. That's why you have that FPS improvement. CPU work remains (mostly) the same, while GPU has much easier work with less pixels.

Though I'd try the test with some more "demanding" game than CS:GO. With it you already have excellent results

Aamir Ahamed

Reputable
May 3, 2014

Hmm ok then should I try with Battlefield 4 then? Like what settings too?

jtk2515

Distinguished

Here is a benchmark of witcher 3. Even with a titan x your still going to dip into the 37-42 fps with the 6300 as the CPU is the limiting factor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rutk9ErhKG4

with 970
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wpOmkZLgms

Thats why I said just upgrade your GPU for now and upgrade your CPU later as for me 30-40 FPS is playable.

BF4 with 960
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_y-zFSdFEc

Dota 2 960
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg4lCAF3TY4

Aamir Ahamed

Reputable
May 3, 2014

Bruv that's a 960.. how will it compare to the RX480? So you're saying it's better for me to get the 960 or 970?
Im confused.

jtk2515

Distinguished
here is dota 2 with a 970
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rszq73FZO-s

I'm saying with CS go and dota 2 with a 6300 trying to get a stable 120fps is unlikely. As i'm sure you can get 120+ fps in csgo but as soon as you get into some action your FPS will dip below 100fps

So to get 120+fps in older games you need a better CPU.
To get more then 37-45fps in new games you need a better CPU.
So just get a new GPU now and play. Then when you get the Cash upgrade your CPU

What jtk2515 and me trying to say, get the RX 480. Use it. You will benefit from the upgrade. You will not utilize the full potential of the RX 480 until you upgrade your platform to something better (now it's something like i5). But you will have better graphics than now.

Farmageddon

Commendable
Jun 17, 2016
i play metro last light on 1080 resolution with highest settings possible with over 100 fps stable with a over clocked fx 6300 black edition (4.4 OC), and a gtx 950 SSC..get the damn rx-480..you will see huge upgrade! nothing is worth the price to performance ratio on the amd cpu side,fx-6300 will be fine for now until ZEN releases in october this year. simply wait for zen get an am4 mother board and rock crossfire rx-480s, get 850 psu full modular g2,16 gb ddr4 memory, then you will beast mode any game.