FX 4300 4.2GHZ Voltage

Kevin_153

Commendable
Jun 25, 2016
AMD FX 4300 4.2 GHZ Voltage?
I was wondering, would 1.31 volts vcore be enough to overclock this 3.8 GHZ processor to 4.2 GHZ ? I had it running on auto at 4.1 but it became unstable on auto with 4.2 ghz. Please help me adjust the voltage, Thanks!

Motherboard : MSI 760gm-p23 fx
RAM: Corsair Vengance 1866 mhz, 16gb
GPU: PNY GeForce 750 GDDR5 1Gb

If you have a better voltage recommendation please feel free to post, any replies are very much appreciated!

Solution
your welcome. any more questions, concerns feel free to ask.

(fyi some people will say disable c1 states and cool and quiet and some other things to get it stable but to me non of that really nessessary unless your really pushing limits) i think you will find .01 to .02 extra volts it will be stable. as you already pushed it 300mhz without even touching the voltage to start with which is good.

BlackJesus27

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015
there is no real way to tell how much voltage you may need without running tests, get a cpu benchmarking software (cpuz stresser, prime 95, aida 64, etc) and hw monitor and monitor the temps, if they get too high (like 80-85c plus under load) i would turn down the voltage, if it is unstable turn the voltage up and you should be able to get the cpu to the best clockspeed it can attain at some point, the higher the voltage the more heat the cpu will produce and the lower the voltage the more unstable the system will become at a higher clockspeed, what cooler do you have?

Kevin_153

Commendable
Jun 25, 2016
Stock fan and stock heat sink, but I monitored the temps at 1.31 volts and at 4.2 ghz and under load they stayed in the 40s and the max temperature I got was 59 degrees and that was while playing a game on full graphics

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2122665/understanding-temperature-amd-cpus-apus.html

kind of a side note: I would strongly recommend using thermal margin reading though amd overdrive. only accurate way to read how close you are to its max temp.

usually auto is just running cpu default voltage so just come up .01 volts and then run a stress test suggested above while keeping and eye on temps. and don't go making big jumps in voltages. for an fx I personaly wouldn't cross 1.50 volts max voltage after reading different sources but that's my pref (I have fx 8350 mild overclock to 4.6ghz turbo boost enabled at 4.8ghz).I can tell you even with my corsair h105 you will usually hit cooling issues a lot faster then u realize with small voltage changes. just watch that temp.!!!!!!!!!!!

BlackJesus27

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015

turn up the voltage a little, if you want to reach higher clock speeds you are going to have to buy an aftermarket cooler but overclocking with the stock cooler can be done, just mess around with the voltage, keep adjusting it by like 0.01 volts each when you bump up the clock speed each time and eventually you should reach a point where you feel comfortable with the performance and the temperatures you get, there is no way of guessing how much voltage you need but as you keep increasing you should get a good idea of how far you are going to be able to push the chip :D

Kevin_153

Commendable
Jun 25, 2016
Yeah I'm not planning on going past 4.2 or 4.3 on this cooler. Also, I will download overdrive to monitor the temps more accurately and will heed your advice of bumping voltage up in small increments.

BlackJesus27

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015

yea dude thats the sort of range you want to be aiming for with a stock cooler, keep doing it in small increments and it should be ok :D

Kevin_153

Commendable
Jun 25, 2016
Black thank you so so much for your help, I was originally scared to even touch the voltage settings before your help, I knew I came to the right place for assistance

-Kevin

your welcome. any more questions, concerns feel free to ask.

(fyi some people will say disable c1 states and cool and quiet and some other things to get it stable but to me non of that really nessessary unless your really pushing limits) i think you will find .01 to .02 extra volts it will be stable. as you already pushed it 300mhz without even touching the voltage to start with which is good.

Solution

Kevin_153

Commendable
Jun 25, 2016
Maxwell, black, trents, thank you, all of you for your help. First I think you are correct, it was stable at 300 MHz higher at auto volt and I believe the stock voltage for my CPU is around 1.2-1.3v, and a little extra vcore should be stable. Also trents, I don't use burn in tests because as you said, this is a low end motherboard and I've heard that burn in tests can damage it. I usually just run hwmonitor and cpuz while gaming at max graphics and look at max temps (max I've seen is 59 c at full load). Thermal margins in AMD Overdrive may be more accurate as maxwell said but so far hwmonitor is adequate. Idle temps with the new voltage are the same (about 18c), and so are full lod temps. I don't plan on going much higher because of the stock heat sink and fan.

BlackJesus27

Reputable
Jul 9, 2015

those are some quite impressive temps for a stock cooler, you could try and push it further perhaps, i personally wouldn't recommend it but the option is there :)