i5-4460 or fx-8350 for gaming?

Ivan_Drago27

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
So, as far as I can tell the i5 is better for gaming (which aside from basic school work adn some music stuff is what I primarily intend to use it for). But, it is not unlocked, so if I were to buy the 8350 and OC it would it be better for gaming? ... I am trying to figure out what mobo to buy so I'm not sure whether to buy the i5 and get a cheaper mobo that doesnt allow overclocking or get a pricier mobo and OC the 8350.

The specs will be:

r9 390
16gb RAM
750w PSU
1 TB HDD

Solution
Overclocking is expensive because you need an aftermarket cooler, more fans, more power, and doing the overclocking can be very time consuming, and sometimes frustrating.

With a 4460, just plug it in, fit the free stock cooler, and away you go.

BTW, you don't need 750W with an i5. I am using 500W PSU

lodders

Admirable
Overclocking is expensive because you need an aftermarket cooler, more fans, more power, and doing the overclocking can be very time consuming, and sometimes frustrating.

With a 4460, just plug it in, fit the free stock cooler, and away you go.

BTW, you don't need 750W with an i5. I am using 500W PSU

Solution

PytSkee

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015
I doubt OC will drastically affect gaming performance given the lack of a central processing bottleneck in gaming. You'll be sorry for your poor CPU cooler if you OC the FX chip though, and I've always run Intel flawlessly. You'd be wiser to get Intel, in my opinion.

In fact, if you wanted the multicore specs you'd do well to glance at the Xeon E3 1231 and other variants that can't be overclocked, but are built just like the Haswell i7's. I run the 1246 variant and am very happy with it.