New R9 380 is performing REALLY bad?

dmitry0903

Reputable
Mar 5, 2014
Hi!

So, I bought a new R9 380 as an upgrade for my previous GTX 660, expecting to finally be able to play GTA 5 at high settings with 1080p resolution. But to my surprise, I couldn't even get above 40 fps at medium (the lowest setting) with population density turned down and drops as low as 20. I ran a benchmark, Heaven Benchmark 4.0, and the score was 406, almost the half of what I read online.

This is my rig:
AMD FX-4300 Processor
AMD R9 380 MSI Video card
Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Motherboard
8 GB of RAM
Corsair 500M 500 watt PSU

By the way, I've tried all the standard troubleshooting steps (i.e. reinstalling drivers, stuff like that.)

I hope you can help me,
Dmitry.

Solution

dmitry0903

Reputable
Mar 5, 2014

Hi, thanks for your answer.
And yes, I have tried a driver bulldozer app, deleted the NVIDIA drivers.
About power efficiency, I do have it turned off.

UKRsoldier

Commendable
Mar 7, 2016
Is it just me or is that processor not optimal for GTAV? If you're getting about the same fps at the same settings as you were on your older card, wouldn't that mean the cpu is bottlenecking your game?

As far as I know, that cpu is slower than an i3, and doesn't GTAV recommend at least an i5 due to being a cpu intensive game??..

dmitry0903

Reputable
Mar 5, 2014

Yes, I have thought already that this could be a CPU bottleneck, but is it really so severe?
I have a socket AM3+ motherboard, so the highest I could realistically upgrade to is a FX-8350. Would that be worth it?
But the strange thing is, I could play Battlefield 3 on Ultra with my GTX 660 really smoothly, don't know the exact framerate, but near 60 I believe, and now I play on hgh because Ultra can have an occasional drop and stutter...

What speed is the FX running at when gaming? I had an issue of terrible performance with my FX8320 during games, turned out the cpu was thermal throttling down to 1.4ghz which kills performance.

Most games don't need the extra cores so I'd say you shouldn't be held back that much...

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

IF he had good powerful cores, he doesnt

the 4300 is pretty bad for gaming

worse is his motherboard is terrible so he cant even overclock it

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

you need to start monitoring cpu temps while gaming

and yes the 4300 is very weak

dmitry0903

Reputable
Mar 5, 2014

I started GTA 5 up with Overdrive on my second monitor. The CPU idle temp was 25 degrees (impossible).
I began playing on the lowest, and the temperature decreased to -11 degrees (WTF?). And, as expected, the frequency began to drop from the stable 4 Mhz to 1.4 Mhz, and jumped back up again. The strange thing was, that there were no lag spikes, but overall bad performance, like 30-40 fps... I tried with another monitoring program, and the CPU was 80-85 degrees... bit too hot, eh? I'm running a kinda stock-like AMD CPU cooler, something like 70 mm diameter or so.

dmitry0903

Reputable
Mar 5, 2014

I started GTA 5 up with Overdrive on my second monitor. The CPU idle temp was 25 degrees (impossible).
I began playing on the lowest, and the temperature decreased to -11 degrees (WTF?). And, as expected, the frequency began to drop from the stable 4 Mhz to 1.4 Mhz, and jumped back up again. The strange thing was, that there were no lag spikes, but overall bad performance, like 30-40 fps... I tried with another monitoring program, and the CPU was 80-85 degrees... bit too hot, eh? I'm running a kinda stock-like AMD CPU cooler, something like 70 mm diameter or so.

UKRsoldier

Commendable
Mar 7, 2016

I'd say the 8350 would be a decent upgrade for you. And I don't believe that BF3 is as demanding of a game when it comes to cpu performance as GTA V is..

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/AMD-FX-8350-vs-AMD-FX-4300

Looks like the 8350 is almost twice as fast in multi-threaded applications as your cpu, where as single core performance is similar. There should be a significant difference in GTA V, which uses all the cores.

Well that won't be helping your performance.

You need to invest in a better cooler and some case fans- that should keep the CPU running at full speed. You should be keeping it to 60 or below really.

Upgrading to an 8350 would make things worse as the FX 8 core chips are hard to keep cool (I had to switch to a closed loop liquid cooler, although they aren't that expensive any more, cost be £45).

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

overdrive does not tell you your actual temps

it tells you your thermal overhead to throttle

negative numbers = throttling

positive numbers mean temp before throttle

if it showed 25, then that means you are 25 degrees away from throttling

so yes you need a better cooler you are loosing performance

Solution