i5-750 simply too slow?

SixFootEwok

Honorable
Jun 11, 2016
So just today I was running Photoshop while streaming on Twitch as well as watching a dota stream. The Steam and Battle.net launchers were also open and my CPU was locked at 100%. A myriad of other processes were donating to the lock, but what I listed were easily the biggest problem children.

I'm wondering, would anyone with a 6500 / 6600 gufaw at that program load? As in, would their CPUs be able to handle that lineup without a problem? I've been eyeing an upgrade for a little bit, but only if I'd see a pretty substantial improvement and be able to multitask a little more. I also notice it while trying to play Overwatch while having a stream open. It doesn't completely destroy the CPU, but it can still make OW almost unplayable at times.

A quick note, I know how to reduce the CPU usage, but the point is that I don't want to. Heh. I know I could turn down the quality of the Twitch streams, etc, but I'd like to have these things up and running and not have to choose which things I leave open and / or deal with lesser quality content.

Thanks much!

If it helps anything, I'm running 16gb of ram.

I think it may be about time to retire it if that is the kind of workload you are looking to do. You got 7 years out of it though, that's a really nice run. An i5-6500 (or a Xeon as mentioned above) would be a nice upgrade and would definitely give you a lot of improvement.

Xtergo

Reputable
May 4, 2015
Despite the fact that even today that processor holds up really well in newer games with a 970ish level graphics card with some overclocking, your workload is immense mainly a 60-90% of that CPU would be utilized by Photoshop itself, the thing holding you back hear isn't speed or how "slow" that processor is, its regarding the amount of cores you have against that intensive multitasking workload.

The cheapest and easiest option you have is to upgrade to your processor to an 'X3470' which is a 4 cored hyper threaded CPU which costs about less then or equal to 60$. The vital role here is of your motherboard whether if it supports it or not, chances could be it might also need a bios update.
Take a look here >>> http://ebay.to/28Zb4YD,

Xeons are suited to 24/7 workload on 90-100%, and they are built higher quality then the i series processors so you shouldnt have problems buying them used depending on the seller.

If you are going for new I think you might also experience some problems with skylake i5s, as an owner of a 4690K (its almost the same thing), you will see this especially when u render out the image from Photoshop. For the same price of a skylake i5 you can get a Xeon aswell.

To give you an idea of a Xeon vs I7 system price-wise.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 V5 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($278.28 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X150-PLUS WS ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($108.29 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($65.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total With 10% Tax: $452.55
Total Without Tax: $411.43
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-27 18:47 EDT-0400

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($327.78 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H170A-X1 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($84.37 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($65.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Total With 10% Tax: $478.13
Total Without Tax: $434.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-27 18:49 EDT-0400

The Xeon comes in a bit cheaper, and seeing as the motherboard I paired with it is a bit more expensive, it's probably a higher quality board than the Asrock. You could pair the I7 with a $50 board to match the price of the Xeon, and the only benefit would be 0.2Ghz faster turbo on the I7. But the Xeon I think is ideal. Cheaper CPU, can get a better motherboard with it, too. The only difference in it and the I7-6700 is the I7 has 0.2Ghz higher turbo (4.0Ghz instead of the Xeon's 3.8Ghz) and it has an integrated GPU (which you don't need if you own a GPU).

Do you own a GPU?

Xtergo

Reputable
May 4, 2015

For the X3470:
Depending on the game It could range from being at least slightly better or immensely better, the xeon has a higher clock speed giving more single core performance for games which use fewer cores and offers more cores for games which use more cores, majority of newer games take advantage of both.