i7 870 good at stock speed?

Warmachine20202

Commendable
Jun 30, 2016
Hi ,
Recently i have been wanting to upgrade my cpu from an I5 650. The issue is i cannot buy a new motherboard (OEM motherboard) so i am limited to socket LGA1156. My current system comprises of an R9 380 which in many games is bottlenecked by the I5 to the extent that it is unplayable (EG. GTA V). My question is at stock speed will the I7 870 still be a decent cpu? Also with the cpu cooler i have (hyper 212 evo) will the cpu be able to run at turbo speed (3.6ghz)?

Solution
I can tell you from personal experience that the quad core LGA 1156 CPUs aren't going to be the greatest performers in GTA V unless you're willing to lock your game to 30FPS. 60FPS isn't achievable on those CPUs without a very heavy overclock. I strongly recommend moving to a new platform if possible. Don't spend a lot of money for an old i7, it's really not worth it at this point. For gaming, a newer i3 would probably be a better choice.
I can tell you from personal experience that the quad core LGA 1156 CPUs aren't going to be the greatest performers in GTA V unless you're willing to lock your game to 30FPS. 60FPS isn't achievable on those CPUs without a very heavy overclock. I strongly recommend moving to a new platform if possible. Don't spend a lot of money for an old i7, it's really not worth it at this point. For gaming, a newer i3 would probably be a better choice.

Solution

mikeespino

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
NOT TRUE I’ve paired it with a gtx 980 a bit of bottleneck, and I still achieve 62fps some what drops to 50 when some parts of the city. BUT NO STUTTERING AT ALL this is on stock speeds now not overclocked. You’ll get drops because the cpu throttles it self from overheating just download throttlestop 850 version and inbox the CIE support.