RX 480 Reference or Aftermarket for ITX Build

jaejae0311

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016
So basically as the title has stated, should I buy the reference card for blower or wait for aftermarket cooler? This is for an ITX build using the Fractal Design Core 500. Which would be cooler?

Ps. Is 550w Super Flower Leadex Gold powerful enough for the RX 480?

Solution
Not only will aftermarket cards likely have better coolers, they will hopefully fix the power draw issues that were found in the Tom's review of the 480, where the 480 was going significantly over spec for power draw through the PCIe slot. Hopefully aftermarket cards with an 8 pin rather than 6 pin power connector will be better, and hopefully overclock better to boot.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
waiting for aftermarket cards. even if it is a reference style card, they tend to be better as well than normal reference cards. the blower style is ideal for the small build you have since it blows heat directly out of the back of the case. but wait for custom versions to show up.

msi and xfx usually make a reference style card that looks and runs better than the generic reference ones

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Not only will aftermarket cards likely have better coolers, they will hopefully fix the power draw issues that were found in the Tom's review of the 480, where the 480 was going significantly over spec for power draw through the PCIe slot. Hopefully aftermarket cards with an 8 pin rather than 6 pin power connector will be better, and hopefully overclock better to boot.

Solution

jaejae0311

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016
Alright, thanks for the answers.

2nd question then. As I'm building an ITX system, should I go for an aftermarket blower style or the standard dual or triple fan (depending on what they come up with lol). Not fond of watercooling btw.