Solved

RX 480 sucks, why were people saying that it would beat GTX 1070?

Now its benchmarks are released and it is comparable to GTX 960. 8 GB memory makes no performance improvement.

How good is a GTX 960 level card in 2016?
24 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about 480 sucks ass people beat gtx 1070
  1. Best answer
    No one with any actual information thinks you can buy $450 performance for $200
    Or if they do they are very very stupid .

Most DX 11 benches have the RX 480 at the level of a GTX 970 or Radeon R9 390 . In some games better than both. Always 40% better than a GTX 960 as an absolute minimum

What was your point?
  2. The only place something like that could have been said is... WCCftech comments section :eek:
  3. Never seen anybody saying it was going to be faster than a 1070. Its closer to a 970 than a 960 as it trades blows with the 970 one faster in some games than the other.
  4. I'd put it equal with the 970. In the Toms review of the RX 480 it did trade blows but the 970s were aftermarket cards, overclocked, so when that is taken away it seems to be a tad better. I tend to classify the RX 480 between the 390 and 390X.
  5. there was a lot of hype for the 480 and fanbois believed it should of destroyed the 970, the 970 is not a good comparison, it's a 2 year old card that has stopped production, the 1060 is around the corner , will be best to compare the 480 with the 1060.
  6. I never saw anyone say it would beat the 1070...Also, it destroys the 960 it's basically neck and neck with the 970. And it performs better in Dx12 games. Learn your faxxxxxxxx
  7. Its lower power usage was suppose to be part of the bigger point of its release. I never saw them saying it was going to offer a lot more raw performance . I saw it showing better power per watt then other cards out there but I still think they overstated that some.
  8. I also read before its release that 2 RX 480 would beat the GTX 1080. LOL!!
  9. vijay_001 said:
    I also read before its release that 2 RX 480 would beat the GTX 1080. LOL!!

The AMD fans will always hype it up but in the end the truth will come out.

http://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2016/07/amd-rx-480-crossfire-vs-nvidia-gtx-1080-ashes/
  10. turkey3_scratch said:
    I'd put it equal with the 970. In the Toms review of the RX 480 it did trade blows but the 970s were aftermarket cards, overclocked, so when that is taken away it seems to be a tad better. I tend to classify the RX 480 between the 390 and 390X.

Exactly
    The stock RX 480 is about 3% better over all than the stock GTX 970 . and its far far cheaper
    That in itself is huge progress
  11. Mousemonkey said:
    vijay_001 said:

http://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2016/07/amd-rx-480-crossfire-vs-nvidia-gtx-1080-ashes/

There are plenty of nvidia fans who also do not have such a huge grasp on the truth .
    Your benchmark is interesting though. Two radeons costing $480 matching a gtx 1080 with a minimum price of $650

Here is Techpowerup's look at RX 480 crossfire
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480_CrossFire/8.html
    In some scenarios the crossfire set up absolutely monsters the GTX 1080 . In others it falls behind .
    It is always cheaper than even a single GTX 1070 however
  12. Yep the RX 480 has no competition in its price bracket, and assuming that the GTX 1060 will be $250-$300, it should remain with little to no competition at that price point.
  13. I think nvidia will have to price cards accordingly to sell them . They may even have to sell gtx 1060's at a loss .
  14. Outlander_04 said:
    Mousemonkey said:
    vijay_001 said:

There are plenty of nvidia fans who also do not have such a huge grasp on the truth .
    Your benchmark is interesting though. Two radeons costing $480 matching a gtx 1080 with a minimum price of $650

Here is Techpowerup's look at RX 480 crossfire
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480_CrossFire/8.html
    In some scenarios the crossfire set up absolutely monsters the GTX 1080 . In others it falls behind .
    It is always cheaper than even a single GTX 1070 however

:lol: Nice bit of cherry picking there!

@OP, go to the first page of that TP review and read from there rather than looking at the results from one game.
  15. Outlander_04 said:
    They may even have to sell gtx 1060's at a loss.
    Isn't that classified as uncompetitive behaviour/illegal or something like that when there's a market with strong competition in the US?

Mousemonkey said:
    :lol: Nice bit of cherry picking there!
    :-) But be fair, Outlander_04 *did* say:
    Outlander_04 said:
  16. Time honored tradition is to attack the man when you dont have a message worth listening to
  17. Outlander_04 said:
    Time honored tradition is to attack the man when you dont have a message worth listening to

Yeah, you really ought to stop doing that.
  18. No one with a brain ever said it would be on par with GTX 1070. It is on par with 970, and OC'd and in DX12 with 980. And thats already a frigging great achievement for 200 dollars, and a step NV would never make.
  19. vijay_001 said:
    Now its benchmarks are released and it is comparable to GTX 960. 8 GB memory makes no performance improvement.

How good is a GTX 960 level card in 2016?

As stated by several other people here the RX 480 destroys the GTX 960 and is on par with the GTX 970. As also stated the RX 480 is an incredibly good GPU that is unmatched in its price bracket. To state that it "sucks" and is "comparable to GTX 960" is incredibly misinformed at best.

For a $200 GPU the RX 480 is simply amazing, comparing it against GPU's more than three times its cost is ridiculous. Its like saying a Chevy Colorado "sucks" because it can't tow as much as my F450 6.7 diesel. I mean after all they are both trucks why does that Chevy "suck" so much... No one would ever make that comparison because its asinine.
  20. I don't understand why everyone thinks it's such good value, a year or so a go it would have been but now it's about £10 cheaper than the 970 and slightly slower than said 970 overall. I don't know how the pricing is in the US but to me it looks like everyone has fallen for the hype that literally doesn't exist now.
  21. turkey3_scratch said:
    The only place something like that could have been said is... WCCftech comments section :eek:

I saw it on EVERY SINGLE youtube video talking about the gtx 1080 and 480... all of them had someone in the comment section saying the 480 will beat a 1070 for $200 lol
  22. Vikerules said:
    turkey3_scratch said:
    The only place something like that could have been said is... WCCftech comments section :eek:

I saw it on EVERY SINGLE youtube video talking about the gtx 1080 and 480... all of them had someone in the comment section saying the 480 will beat a 1070 for $200 lol

lets say this did happen that would mean a few things
    #1 all used gpus weaker than a 970 would have almost no value
    #2 the 1070 and 1080 would be worth less and nvidia would need to price them around 200 adn 350$
    #3 amd's 480 is made to be mid range what would that make high end?
    #4 the simple question of why is amd doing so much better?
  23. Mousemonkey said:
    Outlander_04 said:
    Time honored tradition is to attack the man when you dont have a message worth listening to

Yeah, you really ought to stop doing that.

Did you see Tweaktowns RX 480 crossfire review?
    It looks silly to buy a GTX 1080 for 4K
    http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/7770/amd-radeon-rx-480-crossfire-beating-geforce-gtx-1080-4k/index.html
  24. Sergeant_Sneaky said:
    I don't understand why everyone thinks it's such good value, a year or so a go it would have been but now it's about £10 cheaper than the 970 and slightly slower than said 970 overall. I don't know how the pricing is in the US but to me it looks like everyone has fallen for the hype that literally doesn't exist now.

You dont think having the price of the GTX 970 come way down was good for consumers?
    [ and a sure sign nvidia was overcharging]
Ask a new question

Read More

rx 480 AMD Systems Memory Gtx Performance Radeon