Which 1070 should i pick?

Solution

The 1070 will take care of anything at 1080p, that won't hold when you upgrade to 1440p. So while you may not need the extra 31% fps today ... I think you are in a better position knowing you have that capability in the future. Aslo, the ones that can reach the highest OCs are the ones that...
I haven't seen a good 'tear down" article on both of them yet .... but as the MSI Gaming had a 10 phase design ... Gigabyte has 8, I'm leaning MSI

MSI is 37 dba / 75C ... 9C below the throttling point at OC Load
Giga is 40 dba / 71C ... 13C below the throttling point at OC Load

Of course if ya speed up the fans, it gets cooler.

Ratings by Board owners for 980 Ti lean heavily to MSI

MSI 980 Ti Gaming
5 eggs 87% (163)
4 eggs 7% (13)
3 eggs 0% (0)
2 eggs 1% (2)
1 egg 5% (9)

Gigabyte 980 Ti OC Edition
5 eggs 52% (95)
4 eggs 14% (26)
3 eggs 10% (19)
2 eggs 9% (17)
1 egg 13% (24)

It's the 1 in 4 folks giving it a notoriously low 1 egg rating on the Giga (5 times that of MSI) that gives me pause

Giga has 5 models with the fastest having the highest out of box specs tho

GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Xtreme Gaming (GV-N1070XTREME-8GD)
1695 MHz Core
1898 MHz Boost
2082 MHz Memory

but basically that means that they OC's it the fastest before it left the factory.

Guru 3D hit
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_1070_gaming_x_review,30.html
1697 MHz Core
2088 MHz Boost
2350 MHz Memory

msfexploit

Commendable
Apr 28, 2016
For value and quality, EVGA 1070 SC, just nabbed one off Newegg for 439.99 No Tax!! Do not buy anything higher because they will all achieve same clocks basically. Chip will limit oc regardless of model.

msfexploit

Commendable
Apr 28, 2016
EVGA has the best customer support if you need it, and best quality along with great tuning software. This isnt really a bias opinion lookup reviews on youtube... they will say the same thing.

Refernce cards will be very close, so if buying the FE cards, you can expect thermal throttling and similar performance.

As for AIB cards, ... No, they do not EVER hit the same clocks. The EVGA SC series has historically been a reference card with a better cooler.... same VRM, no additonal cooling for MOFSETS, VRM and as a result, their OCs are limited. The competition changes PC components and that's wahy the SC series can't match their OCs

OCs are affected by many things including:

the quality of the cooler
quality of PCB Componnets
what means of cooking on PCB

This is never made more obvious than in the tear down article below. Read the bottom third of pages 2 thru 4 and long before you get to the performance page, you will know how they rank in performance.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_1070_gaming_x_review,30.html

You will note also that the EVGA 970 SC was defective in that 1 of the 3 heat pipes missed the GPU... after issuing a press release stating that was "by intent", they came back with the SSC which corrected the heat pipe issue but left all the other deficiencies noted in the article as is.

Note also it's not about maintaining the highest clock but maintaining the highest boost clock and the highest fps. You can have a higher OC on the core, but have a lower boost clock and lower fps because when under load, the card is cutting back via voltage, power or temp protection.

If all cards OC the same, why do we see this ?

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_980_Ti_Lightning/26.html

MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning 1518 MHz 2090 MHz
Colorful iGame GTX 980 Ti 1432 MHz 2020 MHz
Palit GTX 980 Ti JetStream 1515 MHz 2100 MHz
ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX 1472 MHz 2070 MHz
ZOTAC GTX 980 Ti AMP! 1465 MHz 1990 MHz
MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 1507 MHz 2040 MHz
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC+ 1491 MHz 1900 MHz
Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming 1512 MHz 2100 MHz
GTX 980 Ti 1437 MHz 2070 MHz

devor110

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2016

oh ffs with this site's enormous 'pick as solution' button size, i always mistake it for the 'reply' button, anyways, can you un-solve this thread? would be great

Now with the actual reply TBH i don't hive a damn about OCing. A lot of people start arguing how i'm wasting potential but when you look at the FPS results of OCd and non-OCd cards the difference never exceeds 5 fps at most. Because of that i only want the card to be the coolest and least noisy as it can get.

The mis-click has been unselected.

It does exceed 5% .. it exceeds 30%

perf_oc.gif

Reference card fps = 102.6 fps
Overclocking at the factory = 118.5 fps (+15.5%)
manual Overclocking = 134.8 fps (13.8% above the factory OC for an overall 31.5% increase in performance)

That's the same as taking 45 fps to 60 fps

devor110

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2016
The 1070 should manage to run games at 60 fps at 1080 no matter the circumstance and since I only have a 1080 60hz screen I'll be using vsync to avoid screen tearing, so I'll be locking myself to 60fps, so I don't care if the card can run 'game x' at 70 fps out of the box vs at 85 fps with a huge OC because I'll only see 60 fps, unless I want to get a 1440p or 1080p 144hz screen, but even if decide to do that I'll get a 6700 beforehand

Your reference says enough

But best quality ? After the 760 SC cooler missed the GPU, their 970 SC ACX design also did.

index.php

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/evga-geforce-gtx-970-acx-has-misaligned-gpu-vs-heatpipes.html

This could explain why EVGA's ACX cooler performs more poorly and noisier in reviews versus other custom cooling solutions. They are missing almost a third of the cooler performance.

2nd, I have had experience with EVGA tech support on an EVGA FTW card .. 20 support calls, every one of which required redoing all the steps taken in the last call ... 5 RMAs which didn't solve the problem ... finally they just gave me a next generation card because they simply could not give me a card that met the advertised performance.

They blamed the PSU (10.0 jonnyguru rated), they blamed the Rampage MoBo, they blamed the Mushkin memory.... they blamed everything but their card but couldn't explain away how I managed to get a +26% stable OC on two Asus cards in SLI, while theirs couldn't even run at out of the box speeds.

I am not interested in youtube fanboys opinions because they have now bought and made videos of the 2 vid cards they have had in their life times. Having an opinion on which is better involves actually testing multiple cards and comparing them.... it involves taking them apart and identifying the components thereon... it involves more than playing BF4 where they talk about how great their new purchase is.

There's a reason why when ya sit in a high school or college class they just don't play videos ... if you want to get to the meat of something, read a detailed analysis. Yes, many respectable sites do companion videos, but you can always go to the site and read the full extent of their investigation.

There is a reason this and other forums speak of Afterburner and nothing else:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8589/anandtech-guide-to-video-card-overclocking-software/7

Ultimately when all is said and done, in the face of some very strong competition we feel that MSI Afterburner rises above the other overclocking utilities in our round-up. Afterburner’s long list of features certainly helps its case here, but it’s also an evolving utility that is constantly being updated and improved, more than any utility in our round-up. In addition, Afterburner’s developers have done their best to ensure that voltage control is available on a wide variety of video cards as well, making MSI’s voltage control support second to none. With such a wide feature set and backed by this type of commitment and support, for these reasons MSI Afterburner is the current gold standard among video card overclocking utilities.

http://videocardz.com/35604/gpu-overclocking-apps-review/7

GPU-Overclocking-Utilities-Comparison.png

The 1070 will take care of anything at 1080p, that won't hold when you upgrade to 1440p. So while you may not need the extra 31% fps today ... I think you are in a better position knowing you have that capability in the future. Aslo, the ones that can reach the highest OCs are the ones that have the best and quietest cooling. They couldn't do that OC if they didn't.

There's no need for a 6700 to play at 1440p... a 2500k does just fine. The next thing I would do is get away from cumbersome / somewhat effectual V-Sync and get a G-Sync equipped monitor, that's the biggest impact you can realize versus any other improvement as far as your gaming experience.

Solution

msfexploit

Commendable
Apr 28, 2016
Any non founders card you choose is fine...period. If you think an oc of 2050 vs 2070 is actually notable you are a helmet kid. All cards are within 1-3 degrees difference (non fe). The card does not get hot enough to throttle like the founders does. Also a thing to note is they are all protected by chip bios so... All oc' s are going to be extremely similar. Also more then a single 8 pin is minuscule because you cannot use the extra voltage anyways...