128 GB RAM with this build - why does it show up only 64 GB?

heewaz

Commendable
Jul 1, 2016
Hello,

I have build a new computer with the following specs:
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition
CPU: Intel Core i7-6900K
RAM: 8x16GB HyperX Savage DDR4 2400MHz
MOBO: ASUS X99-A II

The motherboard should support 128GB RAM ref https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99-A-II/specifications/.

The CPU should also support 128 GB of RAM ref http://ark.intel.com/products/94196/Intel-Core-i7-6900K-Processor-20M-Cache-up-to-3_70-GHz.

I have enabled XMP in BIOS and I have flashed the latest BIOS version (to version 0601 from 0401).

I have tested each of the memory modules one by one and saw that the BIOS would post.

In bios I see it says N/A on 4 of the 8 slots: http://i.imgur.com/WY89qgz.jpg

Any suggestions?

CircuitDaemon

Honorable
Feb 23, 2016
I'd say you contact Asus. All parts are compatible, there's no reason for it not to work. Yo already updated the BIOS, so that can't be a problem. They'll probably have to release another update for the board to work with those memories, I've had that happen to me before. It's not a hardware issue specifically, it's a firmware problem.

kanewolf

Titan
Did you purchase the memory as a set of 8 matched DIMMs? If not, then you could have incompatibilities between DIMMs. Matched sets are sold by the manufacturer with a guarantee that they work as a group. Any other mix and match of memory has no guarantee.

heewaz

Commendable
Jul 1, 2016

Yes they are the same, it was a 128GB kit.

kanewolf

Titan

What happens without XMP?

That specific RAM isn't on the qualified list, but I agree with the previous post on checking with ASUS....

heewaz

Commendable
Jul 1, 2016

Nothing different still the same.

Edit: I have opened a request with ASUS aswell now.

CircuitDaemon

Honorable
Feb 23, 2016
Even if they were not "matching" dimms (which is not a real thing, just a marketing scheme), they should work. I think this will have to be fixed by Asus and it's not something you have to setup on the bios or that it depends on certain setting. It wouldn't make sense and would just make Asus support waste its time with users not knowing what to do. RAM is usually pretty straightforward, pop it in, boot up and you're good to go (unless there are specific timings or voltages that need to be applied, which doesn't apply here with XMP).

heewaz

Commendable
Jul 1, 2016

I will be running many virtual machines.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum

As said above, there are no guarantees when mixing packages of DRAM. There's no 'marketing scheme' as you suggest, you can pull identical sticks right off the assembly line and they might, or might not play. This is why the manufacturers test sticks together prior to packaging, to ensure all will play. It's also why an 8 stick package often costs more than a pair of 4 sticks sets, it takes more testing to find 8 sticks that will play than it does 4.