£500.00 Budget Gaming PC

Duds39

Reputable
Nov 3, 2015
Can anyone suggest the best gaming pc I could get for a budget of around £500.00 ? Ive been looking around but cant decide what's best for the money. If it helps I have a spare geforce gtx 760 to put in it if its worth it.

Duds

Solution
Here is what I can get you without windows, plug in that GPU you have for now and save up for the 1060 when it releases, should perform on par with the 980 according to pricing and rumoured specs.
PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/6cYZ8K
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/6cYZ8K/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£170.96 @ More Computers)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! SHADOW ROCK LP 51.4 CFM CPU Cooler (£33.59 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: MSI H110M Gaming Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£69.06 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£60.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive...
Here is what I can get you without windows, plug in that GPU you have for now and save up for the 1060 when it releases, should perform on par with the 980 according to pricing and rumoured specs.
PCPartPicker part list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/6cYZ8K
Price breakdown by merchant: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/6cYZ8K/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£170.96 @ More Computers)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! SHADOW ROCK LP 51.4 CFM CPU Cooler (£33.59 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: MSI H110M Gaming Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£69.06 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£60.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£39.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case (£59.99 @ Novatech)
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply (£68.04 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £502.62
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-02 12:54 BST+0100

Solution

Duds39

Reputable
Nov 3, 2015
Petered,

Was looking for a pre built system rather than building one myself as I don't have a copy of windows. However I do have a monitor keyboard and mouse to use for now. The only parts that are any good from my old pc would be the new 500watt pus and the geforce gtx 760. The rest is very old. Just wondered if there were any half decent systems on the market that could run games like Elder Scrolls Online or similar for my budget.

Duds

Prebuilt systems aren't going to get you very far with 500 pounds.
Save up 750 and get some parts and a retailer to assemble/setup for you.
Its a waste of money buying a prebuilt in such a low price range.

Given that you have those parts, its pretty simple to setup a PC despite popular opinion.
Its more or less; put CPU in socket, push lever down to shut it, put ram in slot, screw in the holes/mounts, slap on the intel cooler, plug in graphics card, plug in hard drive, connect it all to PSU, done.
Then just go through windows install process and you're set.

This is what I mean.
The CPU is much worse performing than an i5, they're using a Seagate 1tb hard drive which has a high year over year failure rate, only 8GB of RAM, and charging an estimated 150 pound on top of what the parts are actually worth.
By all means if you can't be bothered learning how to build a PC go for it, but it is a painfully simple thing to learn.
Watch some youtube videos, like LinusTechTips to get yourself educated on parts, and learn how to assemble a system step by step and you can save yourself a tonne of money while actually being able to run ESO at a good frame rate.

Your best bet is to go to their store, hand in your parts and say; buy these parts i've listed and put together a PC. You can reuse your HDD as well, so you have the same copy of windows and files on the new PC.

Duds39

Reputable
Nov 3, 2015
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm confident in building a pc its just I only have windows vista at the moment on a very old system so wanted something with windows pre installed. I guess I could save up for a newer windows though. If I build one what sort of motherboard should I look for if using the geforce gtx760? Any preferences?

Duds39

Reputable
Nov 3, 2015

Yeah that's the kind of thing, what ever is best for the budget.

Duds

The motherboard depends on what CPU is going in it.
Get the i5 6500 with the MSI H110M Gaming Micro ATX or the Asus H110 Plus depending on preference.
The graphics card can be plugged into any motherboard as long as it has case clearance, it is only limited by requiring a PCI E slot.

Duds39

Reputable
Nov 3, 2015

Oh great. Best I start looking for a suitable case then.

No problem, typically any atx case with removable HDD cages is what you wanna look for. The S340 is a good start, with the Corsair line of cases being very good in the low end, with the Spec-01 as an example.

Duds39

Reputable
Nov 3, 2015

One last thing, I have an older DVD RW, is this likely to fit in the case you suggested or is it best to get a new one?

Duds

You'll need to get a case with what is callled a 5.25 or 5 and a quarter inch bay,
Here are some.
Keep in mind with these cases, the ones which say M ATX or MicroATX require you to have a micro ATX motherboard, so the MSI one I listed above is going to be compatible, but not the Asus. ATX cases can fit both.
Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower (Recommended, phanteks have great build quality)
Corsair Carbide SPEC-M2 MicroATX Mid Tower
Corsair Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid Tower
Thermaltake Versa N21 ATX Mid Tower
Inwin 503 BLACK ATX Mid Tower