Rx 480 Crossfire, GTX 1070

UltraXHybrid

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016
So I'm just going to try and keep this simple...

Do i get one Rx 480 now and then if i feel like i need more, get another Rx 480 later on at some point and run it in crossfire?

I'd get a different make from the Radeon one that's already out, not a big fan of the blower style cooler, it also seems disappointing so i think one from MSI, EVGA etc will hopefully prove to be better

This looks awesome - http://videocardz.com/61794/sapphire-radeon-rx-480-nitro-detailed-some-more

OR

Wait a few more months and get a single GTX 1070

Here's some benchmarks If anyone doesn't know how they both perform - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVVJPbFRDEc

I've been told to stay away from running two graphics cards, however I currently don't have a GPU as I've been waiting to see what Nvidia and AMD would bring out, Now I have seen what there is I don't know what to do...

Solution
Given the possibilities you've mentioned, you're going to get the most mileage out of the 1070. It will put you at or above the 60fps you're looking for with any title at 1080p and you won't have to compromise any details.

As far as 970 SLI, that's a good setup, but I would suggest starting with the best single GPU you have budget for and then adding another at a later point if you ever feel it necessary.

NEmpire95

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015
I would go for the single 1070, having one card is going to work better (for most games) than using crossfire/sli. That being said, if you are only gaming at 1080p 60hz and don't want to spend the extra money then go with the rx 480.

I'd say get a single GTX 1070. AMD is having power issues with the 480 right now and even made an official statement about the issue. Their drivers are lousy enough as it is and now everyone is going to have to rely on the drivers to fix the power issue. I became fed up with AMD around the 5850 gen. Their drivers blew. I switched to Nvidia and have not had any complaint since. You pay a little more, but to me reliability of the drivers and consistent functionality are worth it.

Running two graphics cards at the same time is fine as long as they are Nvidia cards. I never had a problem with SLI when I ran an SLI setup. I ran 580s, 680s, and 780s in SLI. The worst thing I had happen was the drivers weren't optimized every once in a while for SLI upon a new game release. With crossfire, I always had an increase in driver issues over the usual single card issues. I've heard AMD drivers have gotten better since I quit them, but I'm operating without any hassles with Nvidia cards on my builds.

NEmpire95

Reputable
Aug 12, 2015

No such thing as overkill really, who knows what games will come out in the near future and what hardware will be required to run them. But yes, you probably don't need a 1070 for 1080p 60fps.

Edit: also AMD is going to release a software update that will hopefully fix the power consumption issue, by the time you buy the card and have it shipped to you it might not be a problem but it's up to you. (not all the 480's have this issue).

UltraXHybrid

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016

So do you think my best choice is a single rx 480 and in the future If it isn't holding up i can just buy a second card

UltraXHybrid

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016

What about a 970 SLI ?
start off with 1 card, then if its not holding games in the future i can upgrade to a second card?

UltraXHybrid

Commendable
Apr 21, 2016

If i had the money I would, But I'm only thinking of doing 1080p 60Hz
Plus I have no GPU at the moment so waiting for a 1070 could get annoying

Given the possibilities you've mentioned, you're going to get the most mileage out of the 1070. It will put you at or above the 60fps you're looking for with any title at 1080p and you won't have to compromise any details.

As far as 970 SLI, that's a good setup, but I would suggest starting with the best single GPU you have budget for and then adding another at a later point if you ever feel it necessary.

Solution