RX 480 Alternative

Tyler Yaccarino

Reputable
Apr 20, 2014
I picked up an RX 480 this week, and I have been a little disappointed with gaming performance on 1440P. Low FPS on medium to higher settings. Also, the PCIE power draw concerns me.

Is there another AMD card that someone can recommend for 1440P? I want to stay with AMD because I have a freesync monitor.

Thanks!

Solution

a single rx 480 is trading blows with a gtx 970

so a fury will be faster, yes
Fury or Fury X, R9 390x. Any of these are good. PCIe power draw is a non issue. 5w over the rated limit for the RX 480 isn't nearly as bad as some cards in the past, like the ASUS GTX 980 Strix that drew over 200w above the rated limit.

ddferrari

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010

PCIe power draw is a non issue? Not true. Haven't you read the reports- started right here by the Tom's Hardware official review- that the 480 is exceeding the PCIe slot's rating (75W) by quite a bit? So much that they wouldn't even OC it during the review because they were worried that it was going to damage their test rig's mobo. So much that AMD is making their engineers work all holiday weekend to get a new driver out to correct the problem on Tuesday.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

for 1440p you want a fury-x or better

honestly though you should be looking at a gtx 1070

or gtx 1080 for no compromise 1440p

It's exceeding it by 5w and multiple youtube channels have already proven that there have been multiple cards that have overdrawn allot more just recently, like the 960 and ASUS 980 Strix. It's like people read the news and relay it without comprehending things. We are talking about 5w over for a fraction of a second.

Here is AMD's official statement
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10465/amd-releases-statement-on-radeon-rx-480-power-consumption

It's nothing as "rad" as you make it out to be.

azca

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2006
hey, do you own AMD RX 480? please buy one first, use it in your own pc and then you can tell others how well it does or doesn't work. Thanks

ddferrari

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010

Wow, you must be privy to insider info that the rest of us haven't heard. I comprehended Tom's article perfectly well... did you? Here's a direct quote:

"We skipped long-term overclocking and overvolting tests, since the Radeon RX 480’s power consumption through the PCIe slot jumped to an average of 100W, peaking at 200W. We just didn’t want to do that to our test platform."

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-480-polaris-10,4616-9.html

Does a 200W draw through the PCIe slot sound like a 5W overage to you? And do you rely on youtube vids as opposed to highly respected tech sites (like the one you're on right now) for your info?

Of course AMD is downplaying it. And even though it's a "non-issue", according to you, AMD decided to work their team all holiday weekend to hastily get out a patch by Tuesday. YEAH, those are the actions of a company who isn't worried about anything. o_O

Ahem,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFuYc2FHgjw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjAlrGzHAkI

Allot the these popular PC youtubers used to work for companies like Tom's, Newegg, ect FYI.

I was giving examples of some of their credentials. I do know that Paul from Paul's Hardware used to work for Newegg and Joker from Joker productions has and still does publish freelance articles for multiple tech websites. It's hard to find this kind of information unless you really watch their videos allot.

So which one(s) work or worked for Tom's?

ddferrari

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010

Ahem, new round of tests; same results and conclusion. Bummer for AMD

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-480-power-measurements,4622.html

JediMa

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013
I'm getting crazy.. it seems that however wil try to fool costumers, drivers won't be enough to fix the card. So a 2nd release with more pin (8 or so) might help but the big question is.. how can be a deal or acceptable to buy a card that has so many issues ? It's the first time in years. To make it short.. I dont think that a bugged card like this one can be a good option. So what's a good alternative around 300 Euros?

ddferrari

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010

Wait and see what the GTX 1060 brings to the table- it's being released on Thursday, July 7 and will supposedly be available to buy on July 13th. Rumors say it will very similar, if not slightly faster than the RX 480. It will undoubtedly be more efficient.

JediMa

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013

I think that a 390 can be a better option, plenty of differente custom versions, tested and used for long time..

I believe those results say exactly was I was saying. It is an issue but 99% of users won't be affected. Those claiming it will burn your computer are hyperbolic. That very article says it isn't a deal and it should not be a factor when considering a graphics card.