FX-8320 at full clock speed while idling

Worrie

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016
Greetings to kind community of tomshardware.

I recently went from windows 10 profesional back to windows 7 (home premium this time).
I preformed a clean instalation, formated all partitions and started with instalation.

1. I had an issue with GPT and MBR formats but I solved it by formating hdd through cmd.

2. I noticed through Afterburner and HWMonitor that CPU clock speed are at full tilt and temperatures at 43C. (I enabled EPU and APM but this didn't helped)

3. Then I had another issue with windows updates. (endlessly searching) Problem fixed by downloading one of the updates manually.

4. During windows updating I had boot issue. "The system found unauthorized changed on the firmware, operating system, or UEFI drivers" I had to change secure boot in BIOS, from Windows UEFI to Other OS.

So, to summarize this, most of the issues listed above were fixed but not the clock speed.
On Windows 10 Profesional I hadn't this issue.
Half year ago when I had Windows 7 Profesional, I didn't noticed such high clock speed at idle.

Power plan is set to balanced.

tjVR415.jpg

I apprieciate any kind of help and advices.

Solution
To enable energy features you need to enable Cool N quite, C1E, SVM, Core C6 state, HPC mode in bios
You will probably find it on Advanced Cpu Setting
Doing so will ensure the processor reduce it's clock speed when idle to reduce heat

This came from another thread. (Not my Credit)

I didnt remember all the Settings so i looked for the names on another thread.

Worrie

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016

Power Options plan is set in "Balanced".

Cool and Quiet is set to Always Enabled.

Krnt

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009

Worrie

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016
A few minutes ago, all windows updates were instaled including optionals. I kept HWMonitor turned on, to control temperatures and clock speed. Clock speeds are jumping up and down like before. Temperature keeps around 25°C to 35°C. This issue was probably caused by preparing / instaling windows updates but I never heard or read that windows updates can force your CPU up to full clock speed while task manager shows load at 14-30%. So I apologize.

I just want to ask few questions. When I had issue with booting into windows after first windows updates, I had to change Security Boot settings in BIOS from "UEFI Windows" to "Other OS". So far what I read, this issue is caused due to specific windows update. Can I keep it on "Other OS" instead of "UEFI Windows"?
What's are pros and cons of UEFI Windows?

Another question is not related actually to anything posted above but this annoys me a bit. Sometimes when I touch computer or just picking / putting things from a table, computer beeps like on POST beep.
Is that normal?

Krnt

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
No worries, about the UEFI Windows, Its my first time hearing about it, UEFI windows has some security advantages, but I haven't looked into it.

The beeping is obviously not normal, if I were you I would be quite worried about it, and check if something is loose inside or something like that, at least is not rebooting lol. But i have no idea what it could be, if it were a laptop I would suspect what it could be.

popeyetyty

Reputable
May 7, 2016
To enable energy features you need to enable Cool N quite, C1E, SVM, Core C6 state, HPC mode in bios
You will probably find it on Advanced Cpu Setting
Doing so will ensure the processor reduce it's clock speed when idle to reduce heat

This came from another thread. (Not my Credit)

I didnt remember all the Settings so i looked for the names on another thread.

Solution

Worrie

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016
Thanks for all your help, I appreciate it.

If I remember correctly, I had a issue connecting 20/24-pin connector to motherboard when I was replacing power supply. So I left it not fully connected becasue I was worried about damaging motherboard by bending it too much. I'll look into it.

Worrie

Reputable
Jan 4, 2016

It's fine now. Windows Updates were causing CPU going on full clocks.
After what I installed all updates (including optionals) clock speed and temperatures went back to normal.

popeyetyty

Reputable
May 7, 2016

Awesome im glad you found the fix :)