R9 380 - Only one thermometer in HWiNFO. What temp am I looking at? (screenshot included)

PsykoTenshi

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
The R9 380 in question is a Gigabyte GV-R938G1 GAMING-4GD.
Already overclocked mine, fairly satisfied with the results, but looking at HWiNFO I then (yes, just then *facepalm*) realize there's only one temperature indicator, labeled "GPU Thermal Diode" (screenshot). Which, going by just these terms, could be about anywhere on the gpu.

Yes, 61ºC for an overclocked card on full load is a great temp, but... How do I make sure that isn't say, just the gpu core and the VRMs aren't melting?

Help and/or insight much appreciated :)

Solution
It's the GPU core temp. I don't think there are many/any GPUs out there that have multiple temperature sensors in the GPU package. Other cards out there may have additional thermometers for the VRMs, or possibly VRAM.

As far as how you can check your VRM temps, you'd need something like a temperature gun (IR thermometer).

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
It's the GPU core temp. I don't think there are many/any GPUs out there that have multiple temperature sensors in the GPU package. Other cards out there may have additional thermometers for the VRMs, or possibly VRAM.

As far as how you can check your VRM temps, you'd need something like a temperature gun (IR thermometer).

Solution

PsykoTenshi

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

Well, I don't have a temperature gun, nor the means to afford one right now. BUT I have a physical thermal sensor that came with an old case, I can manually place where I please. Given your post reminded me I even had that, I'll pick it as the solution. Thanks!