RX 480 vs my old R9 290

Status
Not open for further replies.

JediMa

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013
Hi guys with my R9 290 constanly hitting 93°C full load, and the release of the new polaris cards. Is it a good deal to replace my R9 290 with the new RX 480?

Full HD use

ty

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-power-gpu-rx-480,32200.html
More info here.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3091128/components-graphics/amd-promises-fix-for-radeon-rx-480s-controversial-spec-exceeding-power-consumption.html
AMD promises fix for Radeon RX 480's controversial, spec-exceeding power consumption

I agree... The RX 480 is out of spec in terms of how much power it draws from the PCIe slot... PCIe standards allow up to 75 watts, anywhere above that and they cannot guarantee that your motherboard will not be damaged.

The RX 480 draws more than 75 watts from the slot, therefore making it dangerous for motherboards that were not designed for extreme GPU overclocking. However, I don't recommend it at all right now because certain manufacturers like MSI and ASROCK are refusing to refund buyers for their motherboards if it dies from the RX 480 because the card is out of spec. Basically, it's dangerous to wiring in your motherboard that transfers power/data to/from the PCIe slot(s).

93 Celsius is not the best temperature, but it's not horrible either. Many AMD reference cards hit 100 Celsius all the time and suffer no major damage. If you are comfortable taking the card apart, I can recommend replacing the thermal paste on the cooler. But if you're not comfortable taking it apart, then that's out of the question.

May I ask you to explain the fan setup in your case? I had 1x 200mm on the front, 1x 140mm on the side and 2x 120mm on the bottom, all as intake. As well as 2x 200mm on the top and 1x 120mm (on radiator) on the rear, all as exhaust. My fan setup was rather extreme, but I never had heat problems, until I tried to make my FX 8350 get to 6GHz... It thermal throttled a lot at that speed.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Is heat the only issue? performing all right otherwise?
Have you tried cleaning out the heatsink with a can of compressed air?

I say if the only problem is knowing it hits 93 degrees just stop checking it, problem solved. Keep using it until there's a performance issue or it dies and replace it then, who knows something better might be available or a better cheaper version of the 480 might be around.

JediMa

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013
Ok I will try my best (pls be kind with my bad english )
Case NZXT H630, I added on the front a second NZXT FZ-200
I just installed a Corsair Hydro H100i v2
There is a fan on the back that was part of the case itself

temp.jpg

JediMa

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013

Considering I take care of dust with ari compressor on regular base, maybe the problem is due to the fact that's a sapphire with with standard cooling system. I've never changed thermal paste on a gpu and I wouldnt like to damage the card

JediMa

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013

Let's say that the patch will be the solution, should I buy just what's on the market or it's really far way better to wait for custom ones? I'm a bit in hurry because weather is getting hot and I'm worried about my gpu temp

JediMa

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013

I really start to consider to buy and NVIDIA but 1070 and 1080 are expensive as hell, what should i buy?

JediMa

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013

I dont have a R9 290X but a R9 290

JediMa

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013

Don't worry, it was just to make more clear the level of the card :D .. otherways what do you think of a Radeon with a good coling system (meaning not a sapphire for sure) ?

I like the Twin Frozr by MSI and DCII/DCIII by Asus. AMD cards with those coolers may run cooler, but will still be hotter than Nvidia reference cards, never mind Nvidia cards with Twin Frozr or DCII/DCIII coolers on them.

If power and cooling are both not a problem, then I think that the AMD RX 480 is definitely competitively priced for its performance.

JediMa

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013

Well about power it's something that will be solved soon in a way or the other.. what it sucks it's the single small fan, typical of all sapphire cards :( . I will try tomorrow to replace thermal paste ( i have here Arctic MX-4) to make it a little better while i m waiting

JediMa

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2013

94°C without any overclock.... I will just try to drop of some ° waiting for the RX 480 fixed and cold :D

Status
Not open for further replies.