HELP (please?) FX 6300 - GTX 750 Ti not working as intended (SOLVED)

ethvalion

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016
My specs are:

CPU: AMD FX 6300 3.5GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (1GB)
RAM:8GB Kingston
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 600w
MOBO: ASUS n68-gs4 fx

If there's any more data that would be relevant please ask and i'll deliver, my problem is for some reason i can play games like fallout 4 on high graphics while getting good fps, and it's really smooth, but other games like League of legends or CS:GO i can't get 60 fps on, no matter how low i set the game graphics. I tried various things from other similar posts such as reinstalling drivers (i had an old GPU that i changed for the gtx 750 and i still had the old GPU's drivers installed so i cleaned that up) but that didn't seem to help, which leads me to believe it might be a cpu issue? I recently updated my hardware, I had an AMD Athlon II x2 250 and an NVIDIA GeForce GT 430, both of these parts were upgraded but my fps seemed to have gotten worse in League of legends sepcifically, i don't know what else to do please help D:

Solution
I would recommend to download MSI Afterburner so you can monitor the CPU and GPU load in the background, an that way you will be able to see what is holding you down, also could be good to check CPU speeds and temps during gameplay to see if its throttling or not running at full speed, I've never played LO or CS:GO so I don't have any idea how a vishera should perform in those.

How ever all you have said tells me that the CPU is your main culprit.

Krnt

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
I would recommend to download MSI Afterburner so you can monitor the CPU and GPU load in the background, an that way you will be able to see what is holding you down, also could be good to check CPU speeds and temps during gameplay to see if its throttling or not running at full speed, I've never played LO or CS:GO so I don't have any idea how a vishera should perform in those.

How ever all you have said tells me that the CPU is your main culprit.

Solution

ethvalion

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016
Well I downloaded MSI Afterburner and my cpu was working pretty hard while i didn't have any programs open, so i ran an antimalware and was able to remove some stuff that was holding the performance down. Anyway thank you so much i didn't know about that program, and i tried everything else aside from the most obvious problem lol. My CPU ranged from 40%-60% and GPU always under 10% while on desktop fresh after a reboot so yeah... sorry i wasted your time D: my knowledge about this kind of stuff sucks

Krnt

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
No problem, we are here to help, and every bit of knowledge that you get counts.

Also is very important to keep your background processes optimized, even with a powerful CPU, is more like a good practice, and makes you know your PC better.

In my case, I use MSI Afterburner OSD during gaming so I can monitor the performance of the system in real time, is not only useful but I have most likely fell in love with the software, out there are other options, but for me this one is the best.

Anyway, Good Luck and Good Gaming!

ethvalion

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016
Well, as it turns out fps keep going back and forth, some matches it's 100+ and some matches it's less than 20, i don't understand why but at this point i'm pretty sure it's only LoL, so whatever, guess i'll stick to the witcher :D could you tell me how can i set it up so msi afterburner shows my fps on screen in-game? i seem to be lost on that

Krnt

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
The issue could be caused by temps, maybe even the Motherborad VRMs are overheating, not sure though, if LOL is causing the CPU to turbo, and then then throttling back when temps reach their limit, that could be the issue.

Sorry for the long post, I just had the need to explain some of the features, you just need the beginning and the end of the explanation, other things are optional.

***In the SETTINGS menu (gear icon), you will see the different tabs, int the FIRST TAB, I recommend you activate tick these checkboxes:

Start with Windows
Start minimized
--------------------
Enable hardware control and monitoring

Now these are just to make sure it will start up with your computer, and monitor as intended, everything else can be left default.

***The SECOND TAB is the one most important for you right now.

In the FIRST SECTION, I normally set up the hardware polling to 1000ms, I consider it like the sweet spot for monitoring, you can select the value fits you the most, however don't go lower than 500ms, I'm afraid that it could impact performance.

SECOND SECTION, this is where you select the monitored values that you want to edit in the THIRD SECTION.
The check icons previous to the value name are for the value to be graphed in the software UI, this still doesn't make the OSD work.

At the bottom of that section you will find an option to divide the graph UI into columns, this could help the arrangement of the graphs.

THIRD SECTION, in this section is where you can edit the properties for the value you have selected above, the first two options are for the arrangement of the values, the first for the graph UI, and the second for the OSD grouping, I recommend you experiment with this later.

Next two properties are for the graph UI. color in the for that specific value, followed for the maximum and minimum limits. Do not mid the correction formula, this is only when the values you get are incorrect vs reality(useful for AMD incorrect temperature values, but I have yet to try it)
________________________________________________________________________________

***Show in On-Screen Display, this is the checkbox that activates the OSD for that specific value, you check it to activate it and you will need to do it for each value you want on screen.

Another thing that is important is the Riva Tuner Static server that you should have installed during afterburner installation, without it you can't have the osd working, if for some reason you declined the installation, don't worry, just close MSI AB, and reinstall, none of the settings will be lost.

There are many other options in the software, but a petty cosmetic one that could help is the UI skins, I mainly use the Default MSI Afterburner skin because is the easier to use for me, but you can chose the one that fit you the most.