Arnaudbroes

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016
I just purchased these parts:

Intel i5 6600
ASUS B150-PLUS
G1 GIGABYTE GTX 1070
ZALMAN 9900
GSKILL 16 GB (4x4 clocked at 2133 mhz, XMP supports 2400 but mobo downgrades to 2133)
CM V650

Problem? CPU close to 100% in CPU intensive games but average framerates are low as hell.
I'll post some examples below:

Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - outdoors 55 - Novigrad 30-35
(hairworks disabled, foliage and NPC amount low, shadows medium)

Total War: Rome II - zoomed out 60-80 - zoomed in 30-35
(ultra settings)

DYING LIGHT - 120-150
(ultra - not a CPU intensive game)

Is it me or is this CPU underforming, defect or is there another part that's bottlenecking?
Or am I just expecting too much? I see people on Youtube with the exact same CPU & GPU and much better framerates in e.g. Witcher 3.

EXTRA INFO:
I do not use the stock CPU cooler, in addition all temps are fine.
I use Windows 10 and latest NVIDIA, Intel, ASUS drivers and flashed BIOS.

Resolution: 1080p

Solution
Not having the link, means it's not feasible to investigate the specific performance categories.

The thing I see is you're running a B150 chipset. That's a "business" class chipset which is separate from the "Gaming" and "overclock" class chipsets which are the H- and Z-series respectively. While it may not matter (and while I don't right now recall the list of differences - apart from overclock capability), that may be a clue.

If you get a Pass rating from the IPDT, then I'd usually look at whether something in the BIOS is handicapping you. Maybe how you configured I/O pr memory channels or ...

Also, while I believe you about temps, throttling is the most common culprit for underperforming processors that checks out on IPDT - that...

Arnaudbroes

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016

Thanks for answering!

I ran Passmark and the score is quite below the score that is listed here:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
Score there is 7616 (http://prntscr.com/bp946v)

Mine is 5675.
http://prntscr.com/bp94cl

Arnaudbroes

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016

Diagnostic Tool confirms a PASS.

Temps don't exceed 50°C at full load.

Not having the link, means it's not feasible to investigate the specific performance categories.

The thing I see is you're running a B150 chipset. That's a "business" class chipset which is separate from the "Gaming" and "overclock" class chipsets which are the H- and Z-series respectively. While it may not matter (and while I don't right now recall the list of differences - apart from overclock capability), that may be a clue.

If you get a Pass rating from the IPDT, then I'd usually look at whether something in the BIOS is handicapping you. Maybe how you configured I/O pr memory channels or ...

Also, while I believe you about temps, throttling is the most common culprit for underperforming processors that checks out on IPDT - that and incorrect graphics settings and drivers.

Other than that I'm no wiser. Sorry. :)

Solution