i7 6700 8m skylake is reaching 70 degrees Celsius

n00bguy84

Honorable
Dec 12, 2014
So I noticed in core temp that my 1st or 0 core is reaching 70 degrees Celsius.

I know because it was listed as one of the highest temperatures in the list. I don't know how long it stayed that way. I was playing GTA 5 at 1440p. I have a MSI R9 390 and I use the virtual resolution option in the Crimson control panel.

My CPU can't be overclocked, it's not a K obviously. My GPU is also at the stock clock speed. I am using the stock CPU fan that came with it. I installed it correctly and I made sure I did before I put the motherboard in the case. I didn't apply any thermal paste, it already had thermal paste on the cooler.

Now I have seen some people say this was too high, of course they usually say it's too high of a temperature for them. They prefer lower temps. Then I have seen others that say 70-71 degrees Celsius is normal for the i7 and perfectly fine.

I haven't had any other issues with it. It also went up to 70 degrees Celsius in Doom (2016). I have an ASUS H170 motherboard. I also have the ASUS AI suite 3 installed. I was thinking maybe I should change the fan profiles for my CPU fan or something, which is connected to the motherboard. I believe the fan automatically adjusts based on temperature anyway though. Maybe I need to apply some better thermal paste possibly?

Is 70 degrees Celsius a concern?

Also my case is a Fractal define R5.

n00bguy84

Honorable
Dec 12, 2014

Any where from the 30's to 60. I have the MSI R9 390 and I heard it can run a little warm. My last GPU was an EVGA GTX 750Ti SC 2GB so and it would reach 60 degrees Celsius while playing some games. This GPU the fans don't come on unless needed. It supposed to be silent or something. It's a great GPU.

Also my power supply is an EVGA 750 G2 and I use the eco mode where the fan doesn't run in the PSU unless it reaches a certain temperature or wattage load or something like that.

n00bguy84

Honorable
Dec 12, 2014

Mine is just a regular 6700, not a 6700K. Yet it still gets up to 70-71 Celsius.

Bakua

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
You don't need to worry, as others have said, that temp is fine. If you want even lower temps (those temps are completely fine though, keep that in mind), then go with an aftermarket cooler.

JUICEhunter

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013

Sounds like the CPU is the loudest fan right now, an aftermarket will give you better noise and lower temps.

n00bguy84

Honorable
Dec 12, 2014

It's funny cause I can barely hear the CPU fan unless its RPM's go up.

That's how most fans are, quiet or tolerable at lower speeds and when they ramp up to higher rpm's they can become fairly loud. Even the higher quality big air coolers can be a little loud at full speed but there's a difference. Because of the better overall design, heatpipes, dual or triple fan setups they're capable of dissipating heat so well even when a cpu is under load the fans rarely have to spin up much if at all.

Not saying you need a massive cooler but that's usually where the moderate to larger coolers benefit in terms of noise. When your temps reach 65-70c and your current cpu fan needs to spin up fast to aid in cooling, larger aftermarket cooler fans would likely still be purring along between minimum and lower medium speeds. Aside from the noise you hear when your cooler picks up under full load your current cooler seems to be doing ok.

Reapplying thermal paste likely won't do much. If the noise is bothering you maybe consider something like a cryorig h7 or similar.

n00bguy84

Honorable
Dec 12, 2014

Noise doesn't bother me at all. I can barely hear it over my games.

TRENDING THREADS