Rx 480 compatible with Motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

traphole007

Reputable
Apr 18, 2015
Motherboard: z77-D3H.
I recently bought the new rx 480 and I cant get the display to work, I've tried a lot of methods and nothing seems to work and it's starting to worry me. People in reddit forums suggested new motherboards and or updating them if possible. I need suggestions pls help ;-;

traphole007

Reputable
Apr 18, 2015

Well I've tried both hdmi to vga converter and actual hdmi, the cards working but nothing is being displayed. It's mind puzzling.

traphole007

Reputable
Apr 18, 2015

Alright ill give it a try once I'm back from work, I can confirm on board graphics do work (thank the lordy lord) but I haven't tried completely wiping everything ;-;

traphole007

Reputable
Apr 18, 2015

*Update*
So I tried that, but onboard graphics do not work whatsoever when the card has the power plugged in, uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers needed and didnt work. Tried other PCI slot and that didnt work. My 960 works perfectly so im not sure what to think of it honestly :/

You took the card out ?
Tried the onboard and they work?
then you put the card back in and installed new drivers after first uninstalling the old drivers and nvidias software?
with the monitor plugged in to the graphics card ?

You either have a faulty card , or a faulty power supply

traphole007

Reputable
Apr 18, 2015

Okay so here is what i've figured out so far, PSU is fine, my 960 still works on it all fine and dandy. However as said before, the rx 480 still displays nothing, and if i try to plug the dvi into the motherboard whilst the 480 is connected, no image shows up. Thus meaning I can only used the viewports when the card isn't in the computer. It could be faulty however it might work in someone elses computer. If anyone can offer any advice on other possible solutions and such please do. I have no idea whats causing the display not to work for the card or computer when plugged in.

hy85220

Commendable
Jul 8, 2016
Some here, no display. I have z68 and just bought rx480 to replace my old gtx460. Tried everything you mentioned and upgrade the motherboard bios to the latest. Still no luck....

4745454b

Titan
H852220, rather then come in and hijack this thread, start your own. The OP deserves his own space to work on his problem, as do you.

In both cases system specs are REALLY helpful. I seem to be having a problem with people for the last week as I keep asking for system specs and the request is completely ignored. OP, I know you have an RX480 and a 960 along with a gigabyte Z77 board, but that's it. PSU? Giving us info so we have a shot at helping you is a great idea. Otherwise we are just guessing. Test the 480 in another computer if possible, but it seems like the 480 isn't powering up correctly. Having PSU info would be helpful.

w00dy_

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016
I had the EXACT same issue as you. Same GPU, same motherboard, same problem with the fan on the GPU whirling up but nothing being displayed on the screen. The solution is basically what the others have mentioned in this thread; uninstall all previous drivers. However, I also updated my BIOS first, which was really out of date, so I can't say whether it was old drivers or old BIOS which was the issue.

Check your BIOS version by pressing DEL on boot, and then go to advance and see what your version is. Mine was F10 and the latest (non-beta) is F22, so I was pretty out of date! You will need to do a Q-Flash by downloading the latest BIOS version and copying it to a USB. You'll need to extract the file, which creates three additional files, and then copy them to the USB, I got the instructions here (http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/638325-Can-t-install-bios-update-64-bit-OS). Don't try and run the setup if you're using a 64 bit OS, it won't work.

Next, download AMD's clean uninstall tool: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Clean-Uninstall-Utility.aspx. I didn't have any of the AMD software installed, so couldn't uninstall using the control panel. This software worked a treat and removed everything.

Once I restarted the GPU worked as expected. I then used the DVD that came with the GPU to install the new drivers, then used the software to install the latest versions online. All working well so far, although I haven't done much other than the 'I can see something now' test. I notice you haven't commented in over a month, but hopefully this should help someone with the same, or similar hardware/issues.

Harmen66

Commendable
Dec 3, 2016
Thanks for this info! my Gigabyte Z77-D3H rev 1.0 mobo showed the same behaviour, no picture at all not even POST. Driver update is not the solution it is what i tried first without result. Bios update worked. I put in the newest non-BETA bios from their site (F16) that did the job. Just take a smaller size USB stick, format fat 32 in windows by right-click and select format, copy the 3 BIOS files on it and boot with pressing END to start the flash utility.

Status
Not open for further replies.