Rx 480 bottlenecked by a10-5800k apu?

fakkeltje

Commendable
Jul 7, 2016
Hello,

I'am a regular reader on this forum and allways found what i was looking for. But i'am a bit sad at this moment. Last week i bought the Sapphire RX 480 8gb version, and it does'nt perform as i had hoped and expected.

I was so stupid to buy a APU ( amd a10-5800k ) instead of a decent CPU, and now i think my RX 480 is being bottlenecked by my APU.

So my qeustion is ; Is my amd a10-5800k the problem of my ''bad'' performing GPU?

In Wolfenstein ; The old blood i get 40 fps on Ultra @ 1080p and i get 40 FPS at low @ 720p.
In Miscreated ; 1080p @ 40/50 fps @ 720 p 45/55 FPS.

This is a ongoing trend in quite a few games, i had the feeling my older r9 270x performed much better in sync with my APU.

I learned much about PC parts in the last few months, and i came to the conclusion that i made some bad decisions. And going AMD is one of them in my eyes, so switching to Intel had been in my mind the last few weeks.. and the rx 480 makes it even harder to withstand. Any pro-tips and advice?

Solution
There are a few things you should do before switching out that APU. First, ULPS isnt completely accessible in Crimson or Afterburner anymore. You need to disable it in the registry. Having low gpu usage when paired with an APU (that has gpu cores) might be the result of two symptoms. To alleviate one, disable ULPS in Regedit. Instructions for that below

Next, what speed is your apu running at?. The AMD APU's, when paired with a stronger, faster, new gen card, really needs to be running at its highest possible clock without letting downclocking take over. Turn off any power saving features or power management options for the apu in the bios.

System RAM? the same RAM that mightve paired well with the 270x might not pair so well with the...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, the APU is going to bottleneck that card in most modern games. But your results seem to indicate something else is wrong. You should see a difference between 1080p and 720p. Do you have a lot of stuff running while you game? Is your tray loaded with apps running in the background?

neblogai

Distinguished

No, it is normal to have same fps when system is bottlenecked. But what can be done? You could try overclocking the CPU for a some boost, also check if your antivirus real time protection does not run on heuristic mode, or some other program use CPU a lot. Other than that- either i5-i7 or accept the frame rate in 40-60s

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

Huh? There are far fewer pixels to render per frame on lower screen resolution. The GPU has less work to do. As a result the CPU has more headroom to keep up with it.

neblogai

Distinguished

So CPU stays at 100% load, and GPU gets lets say 40% load at 720P and 80% loaded at 1080P. System bottlenecked by CPU- FPS the same.
By the way, in some games RAM overclock/lower timings might help as well.

shahmir_k

Reputable
Nov 29, 2014
Maybe try and find a better AM3 cpu used for cheap? An fx-6300 seems like it would be a decent upgrade for not too much money. You could also try and overclock your current cpu

fakkeltje

Commendable
Jul 7, 2016
Thanks for the reaction guys! So if we make a long story short, it does bottleneck my GPU and i should be upgrading to Intel. Because i do want higher FPS and i want Higher overal performance. I have a bit of money to spend, so the i5-6600 (k) or something in that range wont be a problem. Do you guys have some recommendations in combination with a Mobo and Ram ( cheapest highest MB ram, from a good brand i think?).

fakkeltje

Commendable
Jul 7, 2016

No, there isn't very much going on besides some standard things. The usage normally is pretty good, but during gaming it peaks and stutters. And i get crappy FPS, i also have the feeling i get better ( better being a term to neem with a korreltje of zout ) performance with my r9 270x card in my setup.

I keep my pc pretty clean in terms of apps and other crap.

dmstewart

Honorable
Sep 4, 2013
There are a few things you should do before switching out that APU. First, ULPS isnt completely accessible in Crimson or Afterburner anymore. You need to disable it in the registry. Having low gpu usage when paired with an APU (that has gpu cores) might be the result of two symptoms. To alleviate one, disable ULPS in Regedit. Instructions for that below

Next, what speed is your apu running at?. The AMD APU's, when paired with a stronger, faster, new gen card, really needs to be running at its highest possible clock without letting downclocking take over. Turn off any power saving features or power management options for the apu in the bios.

System RAM? the same RAM that mightve paired well with the 270x might not pair so well with the 480. Just an FYI.

Finally (and for starters) how many watt PSU are you running?

Granted, its not the strongest apu on the market. And, its entirely possible that the internal gpu cores are trying to handle a workload that you want the gpu to handle. But you shouldnt be seeing the same fps on lower resolution. Is SVR disabled in Crimson? Below Ive also listed a few things you may want to also check into after the ULPS regedit instructions

Disabling ULPS (credit to Bradley)
http://www.overclock.net/t/1587347/how-to-disable-ulps-cfx-windows-10-crimson/0_30

Suggestions:
Disable Crimson/Radeon Settings from starting with computer (after getting your settings set)
Disable all power saving options and power management in BIOS
Find highest possible OC on chip. Even if just to see if performance improves or acts more "normal".

Solution

TRENDING THREADS