i5 2500 3.3ghz stock + gtx 1070 enough for 1080p/60fps maxed games?

k4ever

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
I have been looking vids on youtube and benchmarks everywhere, and I only find info regarding the i5 2500k version oc'ed at speeds over 4.0ghz.
I will buy a new mobo with a nice skylake processor in the future, but in the meanwhile I wanted to get all the current games (2016 and below) to be played maxed with 60fps at 1080p. Then when I have the opportunity to upgrade my cpu, I will also buy a nice monitor and enjoy 4k graphics.

Solution

Geekwad

Admirable
It will run just fine, but of course will not have as high FPS as a newer or overclocked processor. It's still a good deal for you though, as when you do upgrade you'll see another improvement.

If you're going with Nvidia though, be sure, especially at 4k resolutions, to look at monitors with adaptive sync (Gsync for Nvidia, FreeSync for AMD). It makes the BIGGEST difference in providing ultra smooth game play.

koffeeshop77

Reputable
Jun 9, 2015
your CPU will be slowing you down due to 2.0pci-e slot and 3slot for the graficx card. only after you upgrade will it help you.

personal opinion is that i would go with the radeon/amd 480 8g ram model for 229$ and then invest the rest of your money in your new skylake system now. it will help off set the price. and it plays 1080 @60fps in its sleep, even 1440p. once you have a 4k monitor you can then grabe another 480radeaon and play 4k all you want. but it would be a better smarter faster way to achieve your curent wishes now rather than grabing a 1070 that is overpriced @ the time of launch, and really offers nothing in return.

with all that said 1080 @ 60fps static across the board will be hard to achive with the old cpu/mobo spec you currently have. its not how one part works, its how they all play together to achieve the common goal. you can look up you tub for comparisons. 2x480 is as fast or = to a 1080 in most cases, and also the other way around. and is half the cost. is up to you and the 1070 is slower but only marginally less expensive.

k4ever

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
I didnt know that someone else can pick the best solution besides the op, in this case me. o_O?

Anyways, I use my i5 2500 pci 2.0 with a 7870 xt oced and my system runs wonderful. No bottlenecks whatsoever.
I thought that the rule of thumb was to always spend the most money on the gpu, and then work your way on the rest of the system. I have had 2 amd cards already and not only they run hotter and need more power, but the constant driver updates the cards get when a new game is released really makes me think in switching to nvidia and see what the fuss is about.

I have done my research with the 480 and honestly, even though amd has been getting better lately, it still struggles to offer STABLE products like nvidia.

I know my i5 2500 will bottleneck the gtx 1070, no doubt about it. But will it bottleneck it ENOUGH to make it not reach 1080p with 60fps average on current maxed games? After all the gtx 1070 is a beast of a gpu.

EDIT: I just figured out why someone else can have the priviledges to select "best option" besides the op. It still says that this is done for the purpose of closing old threads. Well, I made this thread a few hours ago, and it already has been "closed".

Whatever.

@Kever - i have unselected the kofeeshop's answer.
You can and should pick the solution yourself.
anyway the answere is a complete BS.
Here is the PCIe scaling (2.0 vs 3.0 with different number of lanes): https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GTX_980_PCI-Express_Scaling/1.html

regarding your question - you are perfectly fine with your CPU @ $Ghz. And it's a good match to GTX 1070.
Here is the tests of every i7 gen at clock for clock in gaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhuC8Tf9i3I

Update:
Silly me - here is i5 testing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxGge0tR4IM
same conclusion though

Carbongrip

Reputable
Dec 21, 2015

Yeah, people shouldn't be selecting a answer unless its an old thread. I will undo their answer selection. The GTX 1070 wouldn't be bottlenecked enough to prevent you from reaching 60fps @ 1080p. The only part that really makes the i5 2500 bottleneck the 1070 is games that are heavy on the cpu multithreading wise. In fact, you are probably seeing some bottlenecking from the cpu in some games already, which is more noticeably with a graphics card that can go so much further than we used to beable to.

Edit: n0ns3ns3 beat me to it.

k4ever

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

On Cpu heavy games I struggle, especially multiplayer, but on single player ones I dont have complaints. Im just waiting for a nice sale on the msi gtx 1070 that offers a good rebate, some nice game/games that comes as a bundle with the gpu, or why not ... both. Then at the end of the year Ill get a mobo with either a skylake cpu or better, and a wonderful 1440p monitor and blow my mind away.

Carbongrip

Reputable
Dec 21, 2015

Yeah, I figured you were struggling in multiplayer games already, they are starting to use more multithreading.

k4ever

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012

Im kind of mad that I didnt spend $80 more dollars and bought an i7 2600. I used to use an i3 2120, so I bought a used i5 2500 on ebay. The i7 2600 was only $80, but I figured that games didnt use more than 4 cores. That may have been true some time ago, but technology is catching up.

Oh well, I will enjoy my multiplayer games on console for now.

Solution

Carbongrip

Reputable
Dec 21, 2015

That's not true in a lot of games anymore. AAA games like GTA V, Battlefield 4, Fallout 4, Battlefront, and Ashes of the Singularity use all the logical core you can throw. My i7 3770k @ 4.2ghz has all threads used in those games at about 69% usage, something I don't see in older games. Its time that people start paying attention to theirs logical core usage in Task Manager.

Carbongrip

Reputable
Dec 21, 2015

You should enable it so you can see the difference it makes in some games. Having it enabled won't hurt anything.