fx 6300 upgrade to i7 2600

vladnjr14

Reputable
Dec 20, 2015
i was wondering if its worth upgrading my fx 6300 to a i7 2600.I''ve found a great deal at 180 $ (mobo +cpu) and im not sure if this cpu is still good in 2016+ gaming. btw i will be pairing it with a gtx 960.

Solution

Yes this is true . What is also true is that total compute power of an FX 6300 is about 6% less than an intel 2500k , and if you overclock one to a very safe 4.2 GHz its still competitive with even a recent i5 in games that will use all the available cores.

If the OP has the gtx 960 already he can compare his current fps with online reviews of the gtx 960 [ which almost always use top end cpu's] . If his fps are similar he will probably not get any significant improvement by making the change to intel .
As it stands i do not believe...
I would like to see the motherboard that you will pair with the 2600.

I think that the i7 2600 will still play most modern games without any issues.

Personally, I have a 6700K and am going to upgrade to a 6850K after switching out motherboard, but this comes from the fact that I enjoy over the top and expensive tech, your opinions may vary. Lol, I have like no money. I spend it all on my setup.

cfortney

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016
The i7 2600 is still a very capable processor and is definitely a worthwhile upgrade from the FX 6300 at the right price. I recently purchase an i7-3770k at a good deal, so I did a lot of research on the older gen i7's vs the newer ones in gaming performance. In some cases, they're identical, and at worse, it's a 10-15% difference. Which you will probably never notice because you're likely to be bottlenecked by your GPU before an i7-2600.

Depending on your games you may find you get very small,or even no, improvement in performance.
Id suggest benchmarking now and then again afterwards. An fx 6300 will not be bottlenecking a gtx 960.
Check gtx 960 benchmarks to your performance to see if you will get an increase in fps.

Be aware you will probably have to reinstall windows from scratch, and maybe buy a new license

Yes this is true . What is also true is that total compute power of an FX 6300 is about 6% less than an intel 2500k , and if you overclock one to a very safe 4.2 GHz its still competitive with even a recent i5 in games that will use all the available cores.

If the OP has the gtx 960 already he can compare his current fps with online reviews of the gtx 960 [ which almost always use top end cpu's] . If his fps are similar he will probably not get any significant improvement by making the change to intel .
As it stands i do not believe the gtx 960 is bottlenecked in any way by an FX 6300 with a mild OC

Solution