I5-3470 Lag and Burn

leatherman1977

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016
Hi, I've read Tom's site for a while, but now I have a question.

I have a desktop with and I5-3470, 8Gb RAM and a 7700 HD Graphics Card. (I have twin RAID SSDs, but I keep my documents and saved games on a network share, I am using rubbish onboard sound). I run 3 monitors at 3840x1024 (so I appreciate I push it quite hard). I mostly use it for games. I have noticed an intermittent problem for quite a while. Whilst in a game I will get a massive amount of lag. This might go away after a while, it is usually at a certain point in the game, I guess on a particularly complex level. Otherwise I get excellent performance from the system.

- I upgraded to Windows 10 to see if that helps.
- I also reinstalled 10 from scratch and have reinstalled the latest driver from AMD about 3 times.
- Changing the game settings makes very little difference
- I've shut down background programs, Firefox can cause issues, but nothing else helps.
- Tomb Raider (the reboot) and Drakensang tRoT are causing particular problems, but I have even noticed issues with FTL.

I've been monitoring system performance and Windows reports my CPU as usually less than 20% and rarely spiking, my memory runs at pretty constant 3Gb. I therefore was assuming the GPU is the issue, however I've just downloaded the ATI System Monitor; what is confusing me is that this reports all 4 Cores of my GPU at pretty much 100%, whilst the GPU only occasionally spikes to abut 30%. I don't understand why Windows and ATI disagree so much, but it appears my problem is because the CPU is being thrashed. Can anyone suggest where my bottleneck actually is, and why the reports conflict?

Thanks very much in advance
Steve

This shows my performance during Drakensang, it took about 2-3 minutes of being minimised before the CPU settled down:
Untitled.png

Solution
If you look at the graphic produced by the ATi software more closely, you will notice that it is tracking CPU CLOCKSPEED (In MHz) per core. Those does not imply actual usage of the CPU, rather than the cores spun up their clock speed only.
The Windows Task Manager output measures the actual CPU usage, not the clock speed, so the graphs cannot be compared. (apples vs oranges situation)
If you look at the graphic produced by the ATi software more closely, you will notice that it is tracking CPU CLOCKSPEED (In MHz) per core. Those does not imply actual usage of the CPU, rather than the cores spun up their clock speed only.
The Windows Task Manager output measures the actual CPU usage, not the clock speed, so the graphs cannot be compared. (apples vs oranges situation)

Solution

leatherman1977

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016
Hi Petrossa, thanks for the response, that explains the contradiction but I am still left with the underlying problem. I dropped the game settings down to minimum yesterday on1280x1024, and I still have issues. A friend is going to lend me an nVidia card to see if that is different. I am at a loss to explain what is happening. Does the ATI software report GPU load as I supposed?

Steve