950 Pro SSD. Worth it?

Kajcha97

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016
Hello
I plan to get another SSD for my system.
I have a Haswell system, with ASUS H97M-E MB and Patriot Blaze (maybe Blast) 120GB SSD.
Since I need more storage space, and I don't think I could return to the slow speeds of HDDs ever again, I wanted to get a new SSD.
I had in mind Samsung 850 Evo 250GB.
But now, I've seen 950 Pro is out.
I think my MB has M.2 slot with 2260/2280 compatibility. Is that all I need for the 950 Pro?
The 256GB version has speeds of 2200/900 read/write. Will my motherboard be able to use all that speed? What is the difference between M2 SATA and M2 PCIe connections?
How does that work?
Which 1 do I have/can I use, with my MB?

Besides, do I really need a 950 Pro? The price is 170 euros, at least. (the cheapest option, not sure about the how many years is the warranty on this one though).
While I can get the 850 Evo for 85 euros and at least 3 years of warranty. maybe even 5.

Solution
Not worth it. You would get a 1 sec max boot time reduction versus a 2.5" SATA SSD but pay twice for the same capacity. And the difference in real world usage is marginal to indiscernable.
It's best to get the largest capacity SSD you can afford. I would recommend the 512GB Samsung 850 EVO or, if thats too much the PNY CS1311 480GB.
Look at it this way, do you prefer a 1 sec boot time reduction and then to sit through long loading times in games that don't fit on your SSD, or would you rather have all your games and software be snappy?
Don't get me wrong, NVMe is the future, but it needs to fall in price considerably to be worth touching. Also, software needs to catch up and learn how to take advantage of the proprieties of such SSDs...
Not worth it. You would get a 1 sec max boot time reduction versus a 2.5" SATA SSD but pay twice for the same capacity. And the difference in real world usage is marginal to indiscernable.
It's best to get the largest capacity SSD you can afford. I would recommend the 512GB Samsung 850 EVO or, if thats too much the PNY CS1311 480GB.
Look at it this way, do you prefer a 1 sec boot time reduction and then to sit through long loading times in games that don't fit on your SSD, or would you rather have all your games and software be snappy?
Don't get me wrong, NVMe is the future, but it needs to fall in price considerably to be worth touching. Also, software needs to catch up and learn how to take advantage of the proprieties of such SSDs, and that is just not the case yet(or will be for some time).

Solution

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014

Random reads are more than 2x as fast, if you care about that one thing.

I have a 512GB 950 PRO, and it's a must if you absolutely must have one of the fastest available m.2 SSDs. It is genuinely noticeable on a day-to-day basis. Now if you can stand a SSD that is a little bit slower, you can save a lot of money with a 850 EVO.

Is it worth it? For me I'd say yes, but I use my computer for compiling quite a bit and it really improves compiler performance for C# and Java (which are the languages I use primarily), I'm sure the majority of people aren't software developers and this won't matter. If you do something that's very IO OP intensive, it's worth it. If you're just doing gaming and standard office tasks, you might not see a big difference compared to a less expensive SATA SSD.

Right now my recommendation for mid-range SSDs is the Samsung 850 EVO because it performs nearly as well as a high-end SATA SSD in client workloads.

Kajcha97

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016
Thank you all for answering. I will stay away from the 950 Pro. Mostly because someone pointed out that my MB won't support its full speeds, but I kinda wanted it more than the 850 Evo. I actually do compile a bit, and I think the read speeds would be a huge + for me, but the MB won't be able to use that. Oh well.
I guess I'm getting the 250GB Evo, since I don't really need more than 250GB right now.