$1500 rig with really low FPS, What Gives?

wonderflonium164

Reputable
Sep 18, 2015
I built this computer about 2 1/2 years ago, and it cost around $1500 when it was finished. I expected it would handle max settings for several years before it started to fall off. However I recently purchased Overwatch and I'm getting at most 30 FPS in game, and it's probably the most graphics intensive game I own. My hardware still checks in above recommended settings but the only time it gets close to 60 FPS is on the loading screen. I figured I'd come ask the community to see if somebody knows something I don't. I can't imagine my hardware is already "out of date", but if it weren't I'd expect a higher frame rate.

Ryan_78

Honorable
It's definitely not out of date. A r9 290 matches 970 or when there's a moderate high OC, as good as a 980
I suspect it's
1. You have a poor PSU. Get a good units. NEX are tier four PSUs. They will wear down under high load. The 290 is a power hog. It will wear down a low quality PSU quite soon. Few years.
Tier list http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html
2. Make sure nothing is thermal throttling. CPU under 80 C and GPU under 90C load.
3. Slow SSD. v300 is poor drive.
Listed in order of possibility highest to lowest.

wonderflonium164

Reputable
Sep 18, 2015
Regarding Temperatures: My AMD settings allow for 100% fan speed to maintain 75 degree GPU temperature. So although the card could overheat, I doubt that's what's causing my issue. CPU stays under 45

As for the PSU, I read that article but I don't understand the link between the PSU and FPS. I bought this unit because 750w should have been enough to run 2 cards in crossfire, although I never got around to it. Even if it has lost some output, it should have plenty of power for my CPU and GPU right? I'm still new to the inner workings of components, so this may be blatantly obvious and I've just missed it...

The only thing on my SSD is the OS, because it's a small drive, and I knew going in that it wasn't the best quality.

Ryan_78

Honorable
See how your CPU and GPU clock speeds compare.
Do they run at specified speeds? Do they run at 99% or 100% usage under load?
If not, then it's the PSU throttling down the power provided and reduced the hardware being used at full potential. When you psrchase a PSU, quality over wattage is more important. The units poor quality rails will be degraded from constant high load, not giving enough power to your components.

wonderflonium164

Reputable
Sep 18, 2015

According to Open Hardware Monitor all 4 CPU cores run 100%, as does the GPU during gaming.
Here's a screen shot of my FPS and the OHM tool. http://imgur.com/IgWNnQl

mlga91

Admirable

600 MHz on the GPU core? looks like it's throtling, if the GPU core temps is allright, my bet would be on the GPU VRMs.

wonderflonium164

Reputable
Sep 18, 2015

Well the max clock was up near 940mhz, which is where my card is rated at, but if it is being throttled by the VRM how can I tell? The pins all show 12v coming through from the PSU, but I'm not sure what else to check. Is there some kind of Bios setting I can use?

wonderflonium164

Reputable
Sep 18, 2015

Just to be safe I downloaded the latest driver from AMD's website and it didn't do much. I picked up one or two frames, but I'm still hovering around 30 during the game. From what I can see nothing is overheating, or really being throttled by anything. The clock rates all check out as well. At this point I'm stumped as to why I can't get decent frames with the equipment I have. I'll try checking a few other games later tonight, but I don't think any of them are as graphics heavy as Overwatch is.

TRENDING THREADS