i5 4690 temp it's ok ?

Aneen 050

Reputable
Mar 3, 2015
hi my I5 4690 start to be so hot faster than any time i think
it's with stock cooler and thermal past
it's can reach 60c+ after about 15 mins playing game like tomb raider 2013 on ultra it's ok ?
and reach 78c after play for about two hours on same game
i had build it in March 2015
i have to change thermal past or even the cooler ? and what cooler and thermal past will be enough with this cpu
my motherboard is asus h97 pro gamer

Thank you and sorry for bad English ^ ^

Solution
You're temps are approaching a bit high. The CPU won't throttle until around 90c, and should shutdown at 100c, the 72c is the TCase temp not a core temp so its not really something you'll be able to base anything off of. But if its hitting around 80c or more regularly and for long periods of time you should look at a better cooling solution. You could try cleaning and reapplying a good thermal paste and reseating the cooler, and it may help. If you're just using the normal stock intel cooler then you're not going to see a huge drop in temps. If your case/cabinet allows for it, moving to a better cooler would be a good idea.

Aneen 050

Reputable
Mar 3, 2015

Thank you so much for your answer and my case is zalman z3 plus with it's stock fans come with it 4 fans
and the weather is hot here those days

Thank you so much for the answer
sorry but what is time to change the thermal paste and what is good types i have to looking for ?
already i thinking to buy new cooler but I am confused as to coolers types and which one will be good for my cpu
You can nominate one to me please?
Thanks

Colif

Win 11 Master
I used to worry when I hit 60c, i can do that easy letting my Antivirus scan my ssd. I never knew what temp it should run at is, I am less concerned now. Its winter here, my CPU is idling at 22c, so far away from its max. Only using stock cooler myself.

Cleaning case and letting it have plenty of air are cheap answers, a better cooler as suggested is the best long term answer. I may do that myself in a few months.

Aneen 050

Reputable
Mar 3, 2015

ok i will buy new cooler soon isa
what you think about cooler master 212 evo ? it's will be good or there is cooler will be better than this in close range of money :)

For thermal paste, I like Noctua NT-H1, but even Arctic Silver 5 is really just fine and may be easier to get a hold of depending on where you live. These two articles will go over way more than you ever wanted to know on thermal paste and how to apply it correctly, but I'd say its worth reading. You'll come out knowing a lot more of what to look for when you get one.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-heat-sink-heat-spreader,3600.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-performance-benchmark,3616.html

As for a cooler, your case is going to be a big factor in what you can get. Your case has a 160mm max CPU cooler size. So a Cooler Master 212 Evo will just fit in it. However if you can get it where you live, I'd recommend going with a Cryorig H7. Its smaller (145mm), doesn't overlap the first RAM slot like the Evo does and is a better cooler for usually only a little bit more. If you do go with ether of these, they both come with their own thermal compound thats pretty good. Just make sure to read up on how to properly apply it.

The other nice thing about the coolers mentioned is they are quieter than the stock Intel fans.

Aneen 050

Reputable
Mar 3, 2015

i don't know how to Thank you it's kind of you i learn many things
i see the two coolers it's availabale here thanks god
so i will go with Cryorig H7 like you say ^ ^
but it will be more better than evo 212 in cooling right ?
and what about it's fan sound ?
This will not be annoying in high speeds ?
Thank you so much

The H7 is better than the Evo 212 in cooling.
Fan noise is good on both of them, I've used both and could not tell the difference.
I've heard both at full speed, not annoying at all.
You're very welcome.

Solution

Aneen 050

Reputable
Mar 3, 2015

Thank you