100% disk usage problem windows 8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asbaat

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2014
Hi, this 100% disk usage problem appeared quite often when I installed windows 8.1 on my new gaming rig but thanks to this community, by disabling windows search, superfetch BITS etc, its normal. Now the only problem is that when i startup and hit the desktop, the usage remains at 100% for several minutes and then normally drops. I have checked several hard disk utilities and chkdsk itself. Everything shows zero damage and no bad sectors on the hard disk. So I'm going to install windows 7 now. What do you guys think, should I try something new? I will update after installing windows 7

Solution
1) I don't understand why you would install Windows 7.

In fact, I'd be installing Windows 10. It's better in many ways than Windows 7 and may include better drivers and other optimization methods.

You'll need W10 if you ever want to run a game with DX12. I've upgraded over 100 computers. Aside from some older laptops with AMD driver issues, and the occasional issue, W10 is running really well. Better than W7.

2) Several minutes?
When you startup you can monitor with Task Manager-> Processes (see what program is eating up the CPU cycles)

So...

I'd do THIS and do a clean install of W10:
a) Download MS media creation tool-> https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10
b) run and create a version that matches W8.1 (i.e...
1) I don't understand why you would install Windows 7.

In fact, I'd be installing Windows 10. It's better in many ways than Windows 7 and may include better drivers and other optimization methods.

You'll need W10 if you ever want to run a game with DX12. I've upgraded over 100 computers. Aside from some older laptops with AMD driver issues, and the occasional issue, W10 is running really well. Better than W7.

2) Several minutes?
When you startup you can monitor with Task Manager-> Processes (see what program is eating up the CPU cycles)

So...

I'd do THIS and do a clean install of W10:
a) Download MS media creation tool-> https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10
b) run and create a version that matches W8.1 (i.e. W10 Home 64-bit if W8.1 Home is what you have)

c) backup any important data
d) unhook any other HDD/SSD aside from the Windows drive
e) boot to W10 media (may need to change BIOS boot order)

f) DELETE the partitions
g) do NOT enter a key when prompted. (that will be handled automatically)
h) finish MS updates

i) add any missing drivers, then antivirus, other programs etc.
j) test

Solution

Asbaat

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2014

Thanks for ur reply, I upgraded to windows 10 but the experience was not smooth. It was like everything was in 15 fps. It had a slight stutter when scrolling or opening any program. Secondly, The startup time increased to like 30 seconds, before, it was 10.7 seconds in windows 8.1. Third, I have heard that windows 7 is a light OS and does not have the 100% usage bug.
Well, I learnt my lesson by downgrading to w7 but my latest hardware did not support this old OS and I had no internet, usb, cd rom drivers so I'm again coming back to windows 8.1. Don't know whether other people have experienced this problem or not. My processor is i5-6500, HDD is completely brand new + it passed the smart test and the chkdsk and is defragmented (its completely okay). Idk why I had the unsmooth experience in windows 10

Asbaat

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2014

the clean installation of windows 10 even fixed the 100% usage problem, now it doesn't ago about 70% at startup and I can open anything within a split second right after start up, no need for waiting for that disk usage. Thanks buddy!

Status
Not open for further replies.