Is the i5 4570 still good for high end gaming?

zombiehacker

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013
2 years ago, i built a computer with an i5 4570, 8gb ram and a 280x. Although the build has definitely satisfied me with 1080p gaming at 60fps, i'll likely be upgrading soon with more ram and a 1080. I'm looking at getting into 4k gaming with this upgrade too. So my question is, will the i5 4570 be strong enough to run through games at 4k? Or should i upgrade to one of the newer i7's. I don't use heavy Photoshop or rendering programs, just strictly interested in the gaming performance.

Thanks.

Solution
I think you'll be fine. The game is going to require x amount of cpu horsepower regardless of resolution, the gpu will shoulder most of the heavy lifting as resolution increases. A couple games benefit from hyper threading (i7 or xeon like the 1231v3, 4c/8t) but not many.
The higher your resolution, the less your CPU matters (within certain limits, of course).
So, if it works well at 1080p, it will be as good at 4k.

For a more detailed explanation, it's more or less like this (simplified version):
A given CPU can give you a maximum number of fps for a given game, independent of resolution and settings. Let's imagine for example Witcher 3. Let's say your CPU can push maximum 70fps, for example.
If you play at 1080p with a 280x, high settings, the 280x will be able to push 45 fps. So the CPU is ok.
Now, you upgrade to a gtx 1080. 1080p, ultra settings, let's say the gpu can push 100fps. But your processor can only give you 70fps.
So you get 70fps. This is usually called a 'bottleneck'.

Now, you decide to crank up the resolution. Go 4k ultra settings. Your gtx1080 can only push about 50fps at the new settings. Your cpu can still push 70fps. So the limiting factor is the GPU, and you get 50fps.
This is known as 'alleviating the bottleneck' by increasing resolution.

I think you'll be fine. The game is going to require x amount of cpu horsepower regardless of resolution, the gpu will shoulder most of the heavy lifting as resolution increases. A couple games benefit from hyper threading (i7 or xeon like the 1231v3, 4c/8t) but not many.

Solution
I did write a thing on resolution vs cpu and some of the myths but I think its been covered by previous posts.

However, that i5 should be fine. I found with my 3450 that the low clocks became an issue...certainly increasing the turbo bins helps if your MOBO allows it.

lejacob

Reputable
Jul 5, 2015
It will suffice as long as your GPU is powerful enough. Processors aren't a huge factor of frames as long as you've got a decent one. But that surely does not mean that if you have a GTX TiTAN with an i7-6700k it'll run the same as an Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 ($12 processor) with the same card.

^heavily game dependant. Agree in principal, especially since intel hit gold a few years ago with the 'i' chips.

However, your statement isn't true for some games and would depend what the op plays. Some games need very strong cup regardless of resolution and graphical load.

I'd say that i5 will be fine for most, but it's relatively slower clocks will cause issues in some titles.

pell380

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
I have the second gen i5 2500k (not over clocked) it's still sufficient for the processing needs i have never seen its cpu utilization more then 60% in gaming.

You have the 4th gen processor i am confident that your processor is good for gaming.

^again, thats becsuse of the games you play. Load up Crysis 3, fallout or just cause (and far cry 4 at times) and you'll see easy 100% for quite a few occasions and it'll become the bottle neck. I see it on mine which is quite a bit more powerful given the 25% OC.

I'm just wanting the OP to be given fair warning, certainly not trying to argue!