RX 480 Color Calibration Issue

benjaminrickels

Commendable
Jul 17, 2016
Good day to you all,

hopefully this is the correct sub-forum, since I am really not sure which component is causing the problem, but right now I'm quite certain, that it is my (or the) RX 480.

As my main monitor I am using a Samsung SyncMaster S22B350, which I calibrate with an x-rite i1 Display Pro.

When I'm using my iGPU (Intel HD 4600) the calibration works fine: Before and after

But with my RX 480 i get really strange banding, artefacts or posterization (I don't even know how to call it) in the dark areas after calibration: Before and after

I really don't know what is causing the problem. It doens't matter whether I set my RX 480 and iGPU to full RGB or limited (and adjust my monitors setting accordingly): Calibrating while using the HD 4600 yields fine results, where as with the RX 480 I get this strange pattern.

I still have four days remaining to return my RX 480 and ask for a new one, but maybe this is a driver issue and affects not only my graphics card; because except for this strange issue, I didn't have any other problems - apart from two blue screens right after installing it - and/or artefacts while gaming at all. Or could it be that i1Profiler (x-rite's calibration software) has some problems updating the RX 480'S LUT?
I'm going to contact AMD about this as well, but in the meantime I just wanted to check, if anybody here has similar problems like mine or maybe even a solution.

Thanks a bunch already for trying to help!

Benjamin :)

PS: These are my full system specs:

• ■ Windows 10 64bit
    ■ Intel i7 4700K
    ■ MSI Z87-G45 Gaming (newest BIOS installed)
    ■ 16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
    ■ Sapphire RX 480 (8GB) (Driver version 16.200.1035.1001)
    ■ Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster S22B350 (connected via HDMI <-> HDMI)

benjaminrickels

Commendable
Jul 17, 2016
Okay, the solution was to use DisplayCAL and Argyll instead of i1Profiler to calibrate my display. Now everything seems to work; no more strange artifacts visible.
Seems like it really was an issue with i1Profiler's generated profiles and the RX 480.

TRENDING THREADS