FX-6300 Usage Drops During Prime95 Stress Test

Doge762

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016
I am new to overclocking and i am using AMD Overdrive to help me, During Torture Test in Prime95 my CPU usage is at 100% but then about 10 25 seconds later Core 6 usage starts to drop. I went from 3.5 GHZ to 4.2 then 4.3 and I am now trying to test at 4.4 to get to my goal of 4.5GHZ. Is my overclock not stable? Do i need to allow more voltage? I have never overclocked a CPU before so any advice and tips would be useful.

---------EDIT---------
It seems that the workers seem to be reporting a hardware failure on specific cores, I bumped up to 4.5GHZ and it is now reporting these hardware failures on core 5 and core 6

System:
Motherboard: ASROCK 980DE3/U3S3
CPU: FX-6300
GPU: MSI R7 370
Cooler: CRYORIG H7
PSU: Corsair RM650

Solution
I figured it out plain and simple; Just overclocked too high for my Motherboard. My stable clock turned out to be 4.1Ghz. I just overclocked this processor to make sure everything was ok with the cooler that way i could RMA it if necessary before i get my new CPU no harm done.

Your motherboards VRMs are probably throtteling. What model is it?

Doge762

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016

I just updated my post sorry, It seems that the workers in Prime95 are detecting a hardware failure but only on the specific cores.

Doge762

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016

The CPU temp seems to stay in the low to mid 50's Celsius, I have the Cryorig H7. My motherboard is definitely a cheaper one ASROCK 980de3/u3s3. I think I'm probably just trying to overclock too high since this is my first time OC'ing a CPU.

Doge762

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016
I was stress testing with Prime95 and no errors but then without warning I got a BSoD , It gave me the following error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. Is this telling me i have a bad Overclock? or is this related to something else? It did nopt give me a file name afterwards sop i have no clue.

You can;t even begin to ask this while running an unstable overclock lol :))

Doge762

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016
I figured it out plain and simple; Just overclocked too high for my Motherboard. My stable clock turned out to be 4.1Ghz. I just overclocked this processor to make sure everything was ok with the cooler that way i could RMA it if necessary before i get my new CPU no harm done.

Solution