Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
Hi, i just upgraded my processor and motherboard from
i5 4590
Gigabyte B5 Sniper
into
i7 4790
Asus B85 Pro Gamer

The old setup stays at 55c when encoding a video while the newer setup (ive used the same TIM, also tested inside and open case) hit 78~80c.
Is this normal on i7 processors ?

Solution
This is reasonable, although higher than it should be, even though it does generate a bit more heat than a Skylake i7. Try upping your pump speed through the included software, and change your fan curve. After this you should expect temps in the mid-low 70s.
The reason for this is that it pushes the CPU to near 100% when encoding a video, and the i5 has less cores, meaning that it gives off less heat due to the lower voltage being supplied to it.
In short, voltage generates heat, and the i7 requires more of it, although 55c is strangely low for an i5 at max load.
If this still doesn't solve your issue try remounting the cooler, as under a single encoding load it is strangely high given that you went from 55c to the 80s with an i7. It...
This is reasonable, although higher than it should be, even though it does generate a bit more heat than a Skylake i7. Try upping your pump speed through the included software, and change your fan curve. After this you should expect temps in the mid-low 70s.
The reason for this is that it pushes the CPU to near 100% when encoding a video, and the i5 has less cores, meaning that it gives off less heat due to the lower voltage being supplied to it.
In short, voltage generates heat, and the i7 requires more of it, although 55c is strangely low for an i5 at max load.
If this still doesn't solve your issue try remounting the cooler, as under a single encoding load it is strangely high given that you went from 55c to the 80s with an i7. It should be a slight bump in temps, not that high.

Solution

Sin Sin

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013

I am using SP120 Quiet Ed running at 1.2k RPM with no fan curve. Also, Handbrake uses all 4cores 8threads at constant 100 CPU load while doing the work, if that explainsn anything.
Read somewhere that some motherboard's capacitor hits the mounting plate so i'll be checking that later as well.