FX 8350 and GTX 1060 bottleneck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rizzlepixs

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016
Hi. I know the card is quite new so i dont know if anyone will have an answer but could anyone tell me if my computer would bottleneck with the FX 8350 and GTX 1060 or will it run just fine.

Solution

it's right at the max the 8350 can handle, if you overclock it should be mostly fine but in more cpu intensive tasks the 8350 will bottleneck

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

it's right at the max the 8350 can handle, if you overclock it should be mostly fine but in more cpu intensive tasks the 8350 will bottleneck

Solution

Rizzlepixs

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016

ok thanks :D and how much bottleneck would be caused if i use cpu intensive tasks

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

when a 8350 has trouble handling a 970...

of course you can pair them, doesnt mean you are getting the performance you should

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

"If what you're after is 1080p , 60fps at max graphics settings"

you really need to be careful with spitting out statements like this >.>

Over the last 9 months I've consistenty seen in new titles the 970 being the component that's holding back fps rather than my fx CPU.

The 970 ,which on release was a 60fps ultra GPU ,is now much more comfortable closer to high settings.

An fx chip @4ghz will hit 60fps 90% of the time on 90% of titles- that's just fact .
There's no reason to drop a gpu tier if you can afford not to.
Now the baseline has been raised on GPU power with the new cards expect titles to be more & more GPU dependant as time progresses.

UniformGreen

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2015

Why not dude? The GTX 1060/RX 480 have very similer price compared to GTX 960/R9 380, but a lot higher performance. And it's not like I am gonna stick with the FX 6300 for my entire life... I will upgrade to an Intel Skylake CPU or ZEN cpu this Christmas-ish/New year.

Rizzlepixs: What display/s are you using?

For 'CPU intensive tasks' read: CPU based rendering, video/photo editing, large spreadsheets or CAD applications, in these tasks Intel Quads almost always run a good deal faster than even AMD 8 core parts and can run much faster in comparison if the application isn't coded to use all 8 cores. This is because AMD cores are less efficient than Intels-they do less work per MHz.
Games are much the same, they seldom use more than 4 cores/threads so the more efficient Intel parts can, in some cases run rings around even overclocked 8 core AMD parts because most of the cores are just not used.

If you have the common 1920x1080 60Hz display and don't plan on upgrading fairly soon, then any CPU/GPU bottleneck is irrelevant: a FX8350+GTX1060 is likely to be held back by the displays 60FPS max anyway-unless you enjoy screen tearing that is. ;)

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

well it's different if you know you will need to upgrade, i just think it's good to be clear that if you get such cards and dont intend to upgrade anything else its not gonna be ideal

Status
Not open for further replies.