Help 8320 & asrock 990fx

leeskie1

Commendable
Jul 15, 2016
Hi, quick question.

Running 8320 in asrock 990fx killer mobo .. corsair cx600m, gigabyte 380x..8gb evga ddr3 2400 RAM etc.
Also thermaltake extreme water 3.0 240 mm cooler.

Only question is this, in the overclocking guides that I've seen, I haven't found anything that would give me an answer to this yet. When I'm doing an FSB overclock I can get up to a value of about 225 or 230 and keep it stable but once I move past it no matter the voltage on the CPU or the CPU NB it becomes very unstable. I've also used offset voltage which can help some but this problem persists if I keep the Northbridge frequency at default.

If I take the North Bridge frequency down to 9x it gives more Headroom and I can get up to about 240- 245 before running into a wall again. If I clicked it down to 8x I can get up to about 255 and if I go to 7X I can just about break 260. I can do all this with fairly low voltage considering I'm at about 4.7 gigahertz here. My question is this, is this practice that I'm doing something I should watch out for? Is there a reason I have not seen this covered in any of the overclocking tutorials?

When I run benchmarks like cinebench R15 I'm still getting great scores compared to standard multiplier overclock that go with the standard tutorials that I've seen. At 4.7 gigahertz I'm getting a score of around 740 and running a voltage of about 1.45 volts on the CPU and about 1.265 volts on the CPU NB with an offset voltage of 100 mv.

This motherboard doesn't seem to have LLC as I've seen in many guides. I see settings for cpu vdda and it has two settings, one at 2.57 and one at 2.70 I believe....(not at home note so don't quote me on that).

My voltage offset has values for
+0mv
+50
+100
+150.
Just FYI on those

Is this anything that's going to hurt my system and is there anything I need to know to make it more stable with this type of overclock if it is viable? Particularly I want to know if by stepping down nb freq if there's some kind of trade-off in games that I'd notice or need to be aware of?
Any tips?
Just using this to tinker around and try to get used to oc'ing so any help is appreciated. Thanks!

leeskie1

Commendable
Jul 15, 2016
any idea though about the method i'm using of lowering the northbridge freq. in order to be able to jump up the fsb value? Is this reasonable or is there something i need to know negative about it? Just asking again because i've not seen that method spoken about but granted most guides seem to be sticking to very simple methods. I just last night kicked it up to 4.8 ghz and got a cinebench score of 752 in cinebench r15 and cpumark test my score is 10067 both at 4.8 ghz. Do these seem like typical scores given the clock speed?

But mainly i'm asking about having to lower nb freq.... thanks!

My processor right now is FX 6350 also at 4.8 GHz. but it's practically same just two cores factory cut off.
As I said before, best scores I'm getting (everywhere) is with combination of multiplier and BLCK of 205.
You are getting about 10% or less higher scores but that's due to more cores.
Why don't you try multi of 22 and see how far BLCK gets you too. Lowering NB frequency kinda defeats part of OC.

leeskie1

Commendable
Jul 15, 2016

Which is why I was asking about how to determine these things and what this method of overclocking has as far as pros or cons OBJECTIVLY.... What would one expect to see with an overclock suck as this vs multiplier?

Sorry, I never went as far but will have to look at it better. I would imagine that it may have different effects in different scenarios with various programs. Some need more cores, others are memorycentric etc. Different types of OC could have different influence on programs.