rx 480 vs gtx 1060

kdotpoint

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016
okay guys so here me out...gtx 1060 has almost the same price as an 8gb rx 480 in my country(also on the neighbouring countries).only a 20 euro price difference(sometimes it change to a like 10 euro difference) ...I wanted to wait for a custom rx 480 like the g1 rx 480. it will be priced at maybe around 300-310 euros here and a custom model from gtx 1060 is around 316-326 depending on demand..so im stuck between the two...I know people keep saying that the rx 480 is all by far the bang for the buck..but if the two have almost the same prices I dont know which one to get...

I'm still hoping for a price drop at the rx 480 though in august.

Solution
the 1060 is slightly faster, and slightly more expensive. IMO for a similar price the 1060 is a better deal, it performs more consistently across more titles. AMD cards tend to have one or two titles they perform poorly at. Im in the same boat as you, I think i'm going to wait for a good deal on the 1060 myself. If the 480 was at least $50 cheaper, id consider it, but prices are looking to be pretty close at the moment, just waiting for stock to arrive.

kdotpoint

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016

but for future support in dx12 and vulkan do you think rx 480 will have the advantage?...I'm still hoping for a price drop at rx480 thought..
for example what would you prefer...
a custom rx 480 that cost around 270-280 or a custom gtx 1060 around 320-330 euros..

and this will be my gpu for 3yrs..only like to play at 1060p 60fps or more

the 1060 is slightly faster, and slightly more expensive. IMO for a similar price the 1060 is a better deal, it performs more consistently across more titles. AMD cards tend to have one or two titles they perform poorly at. Im in the same boat as you, I think i'm going to wait for a good deal on the 1060 myself. If the 480 was at least $50 cheaper, id consider it, but prices are looking to be pretty close at the moment, just waiting for stock to arrive.

Solution

Preliminary benches show both seem to run well with dx12. It seems the 480 gets a good boost with vulkan in doom, but the 1060 performs well with or without vulkan. I will be interested to see what happens in the next lot of drivers, AMD has a tendency to gain a fair amount of ground with driver updates. I think you will be happy with either card just make sure if your getting the AMD card not to get the reference blower design, which means you might have to wait.

kdotpoint

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016

I guess I have to wait till late august or september to see what will happen for the prices when the custom cards are released and get a lower price for both custom models..if the price still doesn't change between the two..I might just get the gtx 1060