Best 2004 CPU, GPU and ram

Solution
1GB of RAM is always an issue. This results in stuttery frame rates most of the time, hell, 90% of games won't even run with 1GB of RAM.
Pick up at least 4GB for now, but I recommend 8 or 16GB of DDR4 when you finally upgrade, an i3 6100, and an RX480.
Will cost $300 with a H110 mobo.
You can use the phenom bundle to tide you over till then, as its still better than your current setup, but that won't last you very long.
Don't bother to spend money on the parts. You can get a rough estimate on performance through CPU and GPU passmark online. Just google some relevant hardware of 2004, although if I remember correctly the Radeon x850 XT Platinum Edition was the best at the time, and the Athlon series were very good.
There is no point buying this hardware, especially if modern hardware is struggling. Older hardware is typically overpriced and listed as 'vintage' or collectors items, as people want to make a quick buck flogging off old, obsolete hardware.
In terms of RAM it would be standard first generation DDR RAM.
What game are you thinking of?

pebbleberries

Respectable
May 17, 2016
well it's not super modern hardware but I have a

Core 2 duo e8400

gts 250

1gb ram

I have about 200$ canadian money but I want to go with the best CPU for LGA 775 which is the core 2 extreme qx9770 but someone said the xeon x3492 with a modding kit would be best.

I already found 8gb of ddr2 ram for 40$.

I need 360$ for an amplifier and 40$ for a power supply so I am very limited right now.

The power supply I have right now is a 300w something and it has a single 6 pin power connector for graphics cards.

The power supply I need to buy is not for this computer.

No wonder.... that's not really modern hardware, especially with DDR2! :eek:
I'm not surprised you're struggling to run it.
Why do you need an amplifier so badly? This would be much better invested into PC components, as I can put together a pretty damn good PC for 600USD which won't need to be upgraded for a while.

pebbleberries

Respectable
May 17, 2016
I'm a DJ and my amp died and I desperately need one.

I build computers and sell them all the time so that's fine.

The components are modern compared to that game.

It can run lots of new titles like vicsera cleanup detail.

Right, so sounds like a priority then! :)
When you have enough money, buy this.
Note that you'll need to plug it into your router via ethernet cable unless you wanna get a wireless card. :)
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/NxnHBP
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/NxnHBP/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($53.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($66.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 480 4GB Video Card ($200.00)
Case: BitFenix Nova ATX Mid Tower Case ($22.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $611.23
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-24 21:07 EDT-0400

pebbleberries

Respectable
May 17, 2016
Is this US currency or Canadian currency?

Sadly I do not have ethernet in my house so I will have to go wireless but I found a USB wireless adapter 802.11ac for 11$.

The list that you have, I am going to take off the case because I already have an NZXT switch 810.

I also don't need the hard drive.

pebbleberries

Respectable
May 17, 2016
I think I am going to get a Phenom ii x6 1100T with either a FOXCONN A7DA-S or an MSI NF750-G55.

It is cheaper than the Core 2 extreme qx9770 and it is more powerful.

The MSI board has Crossfire and the Foxxcon board has SLI.

I don't think that's a worthwhile investment. If you keep thinking that way you'll never end up with modern hardware, and will most likely be unable to run most stuff when the time comes around.
You can still get an i5, 16GB of RAM and H170 board for around 340 USD, and the same for 408 CAD.

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/WNcrJx
Price breakdown by merchant: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/WNcrJx/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($254.25 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: ASRock H170A-X1/3.1 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($74.98 @ NCIX)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($79.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $409.22
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-25 02:21 EDT-0400

Judging by this I thought you either had a job as a DJ or sold PCs part time.
pebbleberries said:
I'm a DJ and my amp died and I desperately need one.

I build computers and sell them all the time so that's fine.

The components are modern compared to that game.

It can run lots of new titles like vicsera cleanup detail.

If being a DJ isn't your job, don't spend money on an amp that is entirely unnecessary. You do not desperately need a $350 amp.
You do however desperately need a CPU upgrade, as that build will struggle to even run chrome to be honest, limiting your functionality in conventional application.
Get your priorities in order please before talking about what you 'desperately need', as I think there is something wrong here....

For Roller Coaster Tycoon I would not bother getting a new setup, and the e8400 you have is not close to "modern hardware", it came out in 2008, almost 10 years ago. It's like saying I can't get Instagram working on my modern Mororola Razr flip phone.

If you upgrade the RAM from the 1 GB you have now, it will probably run better. 4 GB is pretty much the standard minimum to have in anything these days for Windows and programs to run decently.

A first generation Core i5, 4 GB RAM, something like an older GTS 460 or Radeon 7750 should run the heck out of Roller Coaster Tycoon 3, no need to buy new components.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
pebbleberries, as indicated above, just upgrading your rig to 4gb will do wonders for your performance. That would be the only addition to your rig that I would even remotely recommend. Otherwise, you should save (as you can) for a newer rig.

Good luck!

pebbleberries

Respectable
May 17, 2016
I found a different option, I'm going to get a Phenom ii x6 1090T with a CPU cooler, motherboard and 16gb ram for like 60$

For the job, being a mobile DJ, you don't make lots and I can't easily make money without the amp.

You don't make a lot of money selling computers and

the other 2 statements are technically correct.

The 2008 CPU was good in 2008 compared to the 1 Ghz Pentium minimum requirements for the game that came out in 2004.

I tested and it can run certain modern titles at lower settings, there is not too much to say about that.

For $60 that is a good deal, especially with the 16 GB RAM. About your dual core CPU being "modern" just because it's newer than 2004, not so much correct there LOL, "modern" to someone reading what you wrote does not mean "newer than 2004". Needed a bit of explaining there not to confuse people. To a caveman, fire wold be modern if you are talking about what people used to prepare food, but if you asked about a "modern" cooking technique, I doubt anyone would say "cook it with fire" today. If you asked "what was new to early humans for preparing food" then fire could be correct. Without that further statement, no way to get a correct answer.

pebbleberries

Respectable
May 17, 2016
I know but the original question was what is the best 2004 CPU, GPU and ram.

At the time with the best 2004 hardware I don't even think it can run Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 at max settings.

Yet hardware from 2008 can't even run it.

Yeah all I have to do is turn anti aliasing off and it is fine but <<edited>>.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

1GB of memory. No wonder it won't run.

1GB of RAM is always an issue. This results in stuttery frame rates most of the time, hell, 90% of games won't even run with 1GB of RAM.
Pick up at least 4GB for now, but I recommend 8 or 16GB of DDR4 when you finally upgrade, an i3 6100, and an RX480.
Will cost $300 with a H110 mobo.
You can use the phenom bundle to tide you over till then, as its still better than your current setup, but that won't last you very long.

Solution