Is i7 6700 non 'K' enough to future proof 3 years of gaming at least?

Tombstone_actual

Reputable
Jun 13, 2014
As asked in the title, I had a lot of confusion and went through a lot of benchmarking videos and reviews but none was able to answer this particular obvious question- will it be enough for the next 3 years at least? I am not concerned about few drops in Fps, I'm worried about the cpu load and is this cpu gonna be maxed by upcoming games? I don't OC also don't play at 1080p so please try not to suggest an i5 6600k as alternative. Thank you
P.S. I'll be using a GTX 970 and plan to use Gigabyte B150m d3h with 8gb x2 kingston hyperx fury. Will be playing games mostly like Battlefield 4, battlefield 1, crysis 3, ghost recon wildlands, watch dogs 2,gears of war 4, mass effect andromeda, GTA V, witcher 3, Kingdom Come delivernace, rise of the tomb raider, the division, etc.

angelo143

Commendable
May 28, 2016
You be fine with that . The 6700 is a 6700k but not overclockable . I recommend you to use the boost clock . Since the base clock is 3400mhz and boost clock 4000mhz. But even if you don't do that you should be fine.

angelo143

Commendable
May 28, 2016

You have to activate it manually . By default the base clock is enabled. Go to the bios .go to tweaked (don't remember what to write it i think you should go manual mode and go to the second option) go down and find the 1st option and set it to manual or to xpm if it has. After that 4 more options will be enabled for the 4 cores of the CPU . Set it to set for all cores. And go down to clock speeds and press 4.0 . The value is in GHz so 4.0 is 4000 MHz. Next go up and go to last option then go down and press save and exit. Check your temps and if it is stable . If it is .do a stress test and you are good to go. But if its not stable . Go to tweaked again go down and you should find volts CPU in some option press on it and try to higher it by 0.1 its time (in order to do that you should first set it to manual) . Try 1.25 volts at first. If your temps at too high do the same but this time lower the volts. Hope this helped. :D

Tombstone_actual

Reputable
Jun 13, 2014
@helpstar Ok so that means more power draw. I don't need to have constant 4ghz though. I mostly play games and the speed spikes up then, I'm fine with that. But it concerns me about the 90-100% cpu load at times while playing the division. No fps drops though.
ps. sorry for the down vote, that was accidental