Rx 480 just blew up...

ryangux

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013
Hello,
I recently built a new computer to play games on based around the super cheap rx480. I tried to keep the computer more of a budget build so I didn't really pick the best quality components everywhere but i didn't think they were that bad. This is the pcpartpicker link to all of the components (the only one that is different is that the memory is really patriot intel extreme masters edition which is hard to find so i just picked some with similar specs.)

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/KqqRkT

So the computer had been running great for about two weeks and I had been getting great benchmarks and frame rates in all of the games I tried it on. I was on the drivers that supposedly fixed the power draw issues(idk if there were newer ones after these but I was on these). What happened is today I turned on my computer and went to lay down in bed after about 5 mins I heard a LOUD POP, I instantly got out of bed and saw 2 separate sparks one after another(it looked like it was between the GFX card and the back of the case, but i could be wrong I was panicking) before i managed to pull the plug. I noticed on the pcb that is facing towards the side of the case I can see it is burnt. I tried pulling the GFX card and booting without it, no problems at all.

I don't know what to do, do I call the manufacture (sapphire) and say what happened? Will it be covered? Should I just say it was DOA?

TL;DR: Rx480 sparked after working fine for weeks on latest drivers, the pcb looks burnt, computer works fine without it, what do I do?

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

P.s. The PCB on the motherboard looked fine so I don't think it was the old power draw issue but i could be wrong.

Solution

Tell them your graphic card blew up your motherboard and provide them with pictures. Sapphire might cover the damage to your whole system since it's their card that is likely at fault.
This is a known problem ... but what blew is difficult to tell w/o looking at the PCB. I don't think you will have any problem with a return ... if less than 30 days, you should be able to get refund thru seller ... but I would call sapphire and demand a nonreference card in exchange.

ryangux

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013

Yes, the motherboard does have surge protection, and I guess ill give them a call tomorrow and see whats up.

ryangux

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013

You think i could get a non-refrence card? I don't even think their out yet so that could be potentially be awkward. Do I just tell them that the motherboard zapped itself?

You should be fine with your RMA. However be sure it is not your power supply that blew up your graphic card. Also, your PCI-e slot could be fried. You might want to RMA your mobo to.

If you can, you should post pictures of the damage. It might be quite useful for the people here.

Tell them your graphic card blew up your motherboard and provide them with pictures. Sapphire might cover the damage to your whole system since it's their card that is likely at fault.

Solution

ryangux

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013

To my knowledge, there is no damage to any other part, due to the fact that the computer is running perfectly fine without the graphics card. However i am unable to test the PCI-E socket because I do not currently have another card. Heres the images: http://imgur.com/gallery/TL1z8

Huh ? What did I miss ? The OP says he took the card out and the system boots just fine and that it looks just fine. If that is in fact the case, that would be fraud.

ryangux

Honorable
Oct 7, 2013

My system is fine, he is saying just incase something did go wrong they would cover it :p