i5 6600 or i5 6650

ayushrustagi

Reputable
Sep 12, 2015
Guys should i buy i5 6600 or i5 6650..in my city 6600 is rs 1000 more expensive than i5 6500..i will be pairing it with rx 480 at 720p screen...i wanna play games on ultra...so is it worth to buy 6600?

Solution

No.

"Overkill" simply means you could have bought something cheaper and gotten the same performance. The analogy above of buying a Ferrari to drive 40mph is a good one... you could have bought a dirt-cheap Kia and gone just as fast.

Graphics cards have to figure out which colour to draw each and every pixel (dot) on the screen ideally 60 times a second or faster. The more pixels (dots) on the screen, the more work there is for the graphics card to do. The "overkill" issue is simply because your 720P screen doesn't have many dots. There isn't going to be much work for an RX480 to do. That's not a problem, it just means you could get just as good a gaming experience by buying a...

Hawkshot

Admirable

what they mean by overkill is that that GPU is more powerful than what you actually need. the GTX 960 maybe a very good choice for you to play at 720p with the I5-6500 this will give you amazing framerates on any game I can think of :)

Just for the sake of my OCD, there's no such thing as a "6650" unless we're talking about the ultrabook processor (i7-6650U)... which we're clearly not.

With that out of the way, I argee with others, generally speaking the 6600 is not worth the price premium. It's 100Mhz (~3%) faster on the base clock and 300mhz (~8%) faster on the turboboost clock. So technically, in CPU limited situations it could be between 3 & 8% faster, maybe a few FPS at best. The thing to remember is that CPU limited situation are rare, especially with a nice Intel i5 like you have. So in reality, it will very occasionally, from time to time, net you an indiscernible FPS increase... thus NOT worthwhile.

Save the money or spend it elsewhere.

RX 480 is a good card. If you're planning an upgrade to 1080P it'll be worthwhile over a cheaper card like the GTX 960 in the long run.

No.

"Overkill" simply means you could have bought something cheaper and gotten the same performance. The analogy above of buying a Ferrari to drive 40mph is a good one... you could have bought a dirt-cheap Kia and gone just as fast.

Graphics cards have to figure out which colour to draw each and every pixel (dot) on the screen ideally 60 times a second or faster. The more pixels (dots) on the screen, the more work there is for the graphics card to do. The "overkill" issue is simply because your 720P screen doesn't have many dots. There isn't going to be much work for an RX480 to do. That's not a problem, it just means you could get just as good a gaming experience by buying a cheaper card like a GTX 950, or R9 370.

When you get a 1080P screen, then games will ask more of the graphics card and your RX 480 can start to provide you higher frame rates and graphics settings.

So... as long as you're happy to spend a little more on an RX 480 now, and understand that it won't really be "better" than a cheaper card (GTX 960, etc) until you get a 1080P monitor, everything is fine.

Solution