HD 6570 or HD 7570

creatip

Honorable
Jul 26, 2016
Hi there.

So I'm thinking of upgrading my GPU, and I'm just looking for a low class GPU (nothing fancy). I'm just doing light gaming. Currently I'm using HD 5570 1GB DDR3.

I'm considering between HD6570 1GB GDDR5 and HD7570 2GB GDDR3, both 128 bit, and about the same price in my country. From what I read so far, I should go for 1GB GDDR5 instead of 2GB GDDR3, but that's in the case of both having the same chipset. In this case, it's not the same chipset, I think.

So which one should I go for?

Thank you in advance

Solution
For the AMD HD-series; the first number is the generation. ie. 7xxx is the generation after 6xxx. And the numbers following describe where the card lies in that generation (in terms of general power) higher is better. An HD 7730 will be more powerful than a 7570, yes. But an R7 360 would be a better choice, it draws less than half as much power and is quite a bit more powerful.

EDIT: If an R7 360 is too high on your budget then I'd probably go for the GT 740.

creatip

Honorable
Jul 26, 2016

Hi, thank you for the reply.

I don't know why, but I can't find a 7570 GDDR5 in local online stores. Maybe because it's not selling well in my country or something, so no one got it anymore.

What about HD 6670 1G GDDR5 or HD7730 2G GDDR5? Are they better than 7570? I don't really understand how the numbers correspond to their classes (which one is better than which)

R7 360 is a bit too high on my budget. It's not that I don't have the money, but I'm setting a budget for my personal indulgence :)

iyzik

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012
For the AMD HD-series; the first number is the generation. ie. 7xxx is the generation after 6xxx. And the numbers following describe where the card lies in that generation (in terms of general power) higher is better. An HD 7730 will be more powerful than a 7570, yes. But an R7 360 would be a better choice, it draws less than half as much power and is quite a bit more powerful.

EDIT: If an R7 360 is too high on your budget then I'd probably go for the GT 740.

Solution

creatip

Honorable
Jul 26, 2016

Whoa GT740 in my country turns out to be more or less the same price as R7 360 (maybe about $10-$20 difference).

I've heard that if I'm using AMD processor, then an AMD chip GPU runs better than other brands (NVIDIA), is this true or just a marketing gimmick?

If it's just a myth, then from all that were mentioned, it's between HD7730 and GT740, with GT740 being better but costs slightly more?

iyzik

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2012
You may be referring to a certain series of AMD CPU's known as "APU's" which have onboard graphics that can run in crossfire (parallel) with certain dedicated AMD graphics cards. In this case, yes, an AMD APU will perform better with an AMD GPU. In your case, no, get the NVIDIA, it will perform quite a bit better.

spdragoo

Splendid
Ambassador
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html

HD 6570 is at the same tier as your current HD 5570, so there's no point in buying it (unless it's to replace a broken 5570). HD 7570 doesn't appear on the tier list. However...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_HD_7000_Series

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radeon_HD_7000_Series

Appears that the HD 7570 was just a rebranded 6570 (same architecture/fab size/transistor count, same core clock), with the only possible difference being a slight increase in the memory clock frequency. I didn't see a 2GB model listed, although it could be a custom vendor model.

But at this point, neither is really a great option. If your budget is limiting you to older cards, then the HD 7750 would be fine, although I'd still consider saving up for the GT 730 or R7 360.

FYI, when I tried getting amd hd 6xxx series drivers amd said they consider it end of service a few months ago and pointed back a few months ago to the last driver they did for that series. so if you buy a 6xxx series card you will not be getting any more driver support from amd.

creatip

Honorable
Jul 26, 2016
Thank you very much to all of you who answered.

The comparison list was REALLY useful. I went back and forth between the list and local online stores to search for best bang for bucks.

After I read your post, I checked the inside of my PC. My system is almost 5 years old, but the PSU was new, and fortunately it does have GPU power cable, both 6 and 8 pins.

I ended up getting the Sapphire HD6850 1GB (I'm posting this using the new GPU). I got a good deal of it, about $65, from the average of $110 and up (average price of 6850 in my country). The store said it's NOS (new old stock), and it does look shiny. The downside is I'm sacrificing the warranty, from 1 year into 6 months. Well, with the price of a second hand, I'd still say it's still quite a deal.

What you said is true, I can't find a specific driver in AMD.com, and the autodetect software only said 'driver up to date'. I'll try searching around the net for the last driver.

Again, thank you all for the answers.

creatip

Honorable
Jul 26, 2016

The stuffs in that page are bonkers, at least for my particular GPU. I'll tell a little story, in case there are some others with the same problem.

So yesterday I went to the AMD site in search of a driver. Got 2 choices, CCC and Crimson. Downloaded Crimson first, uninstalled my current CCC (just to be safe), then installed Crimson. Nothing happens, no GUI and stuffs. Then I thought maybe I'm better with CCC. So I uninstalled Crimson, and on the uninstall list, turned out the only thing installed was HDMI audio driver. I was sure I checked everything when installing, but turned out the only thing installed was the HDMI driver.

Ok, Crimson scratched, I thought I'll go to Sapphire's website to search for a driver. There, I found CCC Omega. Downloaded and installed. Tried gaming with it, smooth for about an hour or so, and then everything went berserk. From split screen, horizontal lines, to BSODs. Physically reinstalling the card didn't solve the problem. It would boot ok, but after a certain stress/load, it would go berserk, again and again. Fan was working properly. Using furmark, I could see it started going berserk at around 71-73C.

After some research of possible causes, it can range from bad driver to botched GPU. The only thing I could do was to explore the bad driver possibility (the store was already closed, so I couldn't RMA at that moment). Spent hours researching, downloading, installing, uninstalling several CCC versions. Finally found an old driver, CCC 13.9, and it's stable till now (tested with furmark until around 80C and 100% fan, still stable)

TLDR: the conclusion I got, the thing that made the GPU went berserk was CCC's GPU acceleration. CCC 13.9 got no GPU accel menu/option. And it's not because of overclocking either (this was my initial suspicion). I tried OC with Sapphire Trixx. Ramp up GPU clock to 900 (orig. 775), and memory clock to 1200 (orig. 1000), run furmark, still stable.