192.168.0.1 and slower speeds

Gazi

Distinguished
May 13, 2011
Hi, i have tplink router and my login screen for router was 192.168.1.1 and then it sudenly changed to 192.168.0.1. I wouldnt mind, but i see my torrent or regular downloading platforms like steam doesnt work correctly. Before on torrents i was getting 11mb download speeds with 100kb upload. Now i cant get pass 9.5 and most of the time its 7-9 no matter what torrent, upload is also low around 14kb/s. In steam download dropped from 11.9 to 11.5, on origin even more.

But oddly on speedtest it shows 95mb/s as before... .

Solution
Torrent, or Steam, is 100% irrelevant if trying to determine your overall download performance.

What do you get when wired directly the router, testing at speedtest.net.
Any other configuration does not matter.

Additionally, it can't just magically change from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.1. Can't happen.
Torrent is a bad measurement as it is completely dependent on the upload rate of your seeds/peers.

If your router changed Ip addresses then either it defaulted back to stock settings, or someone changed your settings. If someone changed your settings then they could also have set QoS to give them priority over your steam downloads

Gazi

Distinguished
May 13, 2011
noone had physical acces to the router other than me.

I just checked again and one torrent goes for like 10.5-10.9, but then drops to around 7mb/s. Same torrent downloaded in old utorrent 2.04 and didnt dropped below 10 single time. Also my task manager shows 100% ethernet use(96mb/s) which is weird, because 10.9 isnt 95mb/s, but 11.9mb/s is.

If anyone connected via wifi they don't need physical access.

Bottom line, the settings changed if you started with 192.168.1.1 and it changed it to 192.168.0.1 and I would want to know why.
If it is a hardware glitch I would want to replace router, and if it was done by a person I would be wanting to secure that.

USAFRet

Titan
Torrent, or Steam, is 100% irrelevant if trying to determine your overall download performance.

What do you get when wired directly the router, testing at speedtest.net.
Any other configuration does not matter.

Additionally, it can't just magically change from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.1. Can't happen.

Solution

Jamie Baddeley

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
The speeds differences that you've defined really aren't that big of a worry, and as people have stated a gateways IP can't just change by itself. Make sure your network is secure, and nobody can access it other than people you've given access to. Also remember that Steam and Torrents show download speed in MegaBYTES per second, whereas Speedtest shows download speeds in MegaBITS per second. So times your speeds that your getting in steam/torrent and times by 8 will give you your speed in mbps, plus a little bit of overhead. After doing the math myself the speeds seem to actually match your speed test results quite well.