Is the i7 3770 (non k) still worth it?

RenzoGuzi

Honorable
May 3, 2013
ive been gaming on an intel core i3 3210 for nearly 3 years now and suffice to say, it's been okay. I've upgraded my gpu first (hd 7770 to a gtx 960) and now i'm thinking of getting a better cpu. Here's the thing though.

If i upgrade to skylake I'd have to spend around $300+ in order for me to upgrade from my setup (i5 cpu motherboard and ram)

If i upgrade to haswell I'd only have to spend around $300 or less in order for me to upgrade from my setup (i5 cpu and motherboard only cos ddr3 still works)

If i upgrade to an i7 3770 I'd only have to spend $207 max cos in my area thats how much it costs now.

There would be no hassle if i upgrade to an i7 cos i'd still be on the same platform (ivy bridge) but would i be getting decent performance? I've heard of intel cpus only getting around 10% gains in gaming performance when jumping to the next generation (correct me if i'm wrong) so i'm really leaning on just getting the i7 and using it until it dies out (hopefully a 5-7 year lifespan) and my next upgrade should be a full system one.

And $200 seems like a VERY good price for an i7 considering it's hyperthreaded and everything.
Thanks in advanced!

Solution
If you're upgrading the motherboard with the CPU, then be prepared to add an additional $80-$100 for a new OS license. Depending on what Microsoft says, you may not need it, but it would still be prudent to be ready in case you do.

Personally, I'd just go with the Core I7-3770 and call it a day. Not sure if it will keep up for the next 5 to 7 years, but it should be good for at least another few years.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
If you're upgrading the motherboard with the CPU, then be prepared to add an additional $80-$100 for a new OS license. Depending on what Microsoft says, you may not need it, but it would still be prudent to be ready in case you do.

Personally, I'd just go with the Core I7-3770 and call it a day. Not sure if it will keep up for the next 5 to 7 years, but it should be good for at least another few years.

-Wolf sends

Solution
If you can sidegrade without needing to replace the motherboard, it's probably worth it. Going from an i3 to an i7 is going to be a huge jump in performance. Yes, going directly to Skylake will give about 30% performance in non-gaming benchmarks, but in gaming, the difference is significantly less.

RenzoGuzi

Honorable
May 3, 2013

I didnt even think about the OS yet lol Yeah now i'm really starting to lean heavily on the i7 upgrade.

RenzoGuzi

Honorable
May 3, 2013

I guess my speculations are correct then. PSU isnt an issue tho right? I've been using my silverstone strider 80+ 500w for around 3 years now. Just making sure.