Why do i have 100+ ping all of a sudden?

JontePerry

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
I have been playing with normal ping all day but now it's from 80-100+ every time i test it, it's impossible for me to play online. It's not because of the server i'm playing on as i usually have normal ping on it.

Solution
google ping and tracert commands but your only other option is to call the ISP and have them tell you everything is fine. You unfortunately have to have more knowledge than the tech to get them to fix stuff.

JontePerry

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015

I have a ethernet cable and it's still horrible, i've waited a few hours and it's still on 100+ ping.

Then it is the pretty standard troubleshooting run a tracert and maybe it by itself will show the problem. Otherwise you ping the first couple of hops in the trace and try to see where the increase is. If the problem is in the first hop it is a issue with your router or pc. If it is ok in the first but starts in the second you have a issue with the wires coming to your house and you need to call the ISP.

Things past the second hop represent problems in the provider network. There is little you can do about this, you have to hope the ISP knows about the problem and is trying to fix it. Sometime it is a problem in a ISP that is not yours so they can not do anything anyway. Many time this is caused by some failure in the network like a cut fiber and you are on a backup connection.

To be able to fix it you have to hope it is in the first couple hops.

JontePerry

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015

Sadly, i don't know what any of this means.
I'm horrible with computers.