rx 480 or gtx 1060, a bit of different circumstances

maloviv

Honorable
Aug 9, 2014
I have a 770 but I think it's time to upgrade (can't hit 60fps on medium).

I don't want to spend money on something like a 1070 because I game on 1080p and other reasons.

my decision is between the rx 480 nitro+ and gtx 1060 phoenix/phoenix gs.
I prefer the 480 because of: freesync (much cheaper than g-sync), cross fire in the future, DX12/Vulkan.
but I don't know if I can even fit a monitor into my budget, I have a seasonic g 650 PSU and from what I have seen it's not enough for cross fire. in addition to this in the retailer I'm gonna buy from there are two versions of the 8gb version, which is weird since I can't see a difference between them (one of them is more expensive) I saw one person say that the cheaper version doesn't support freesync, is that possible?
oh and the nitro only arrives in 3 weeks.

now to the 1060, I will probably get the phoenix/phoenix gs (how is gainward, haven't heard much about them), the gs costs as much as the cheaper 8gb version and from what I've seen it's better performance wise.

so bottom line is, I can get a rx 480 nitro for the same price as OC 1060, I'll have to wait at least three weeks (while the 1060 I can get now) and I won't benefit now from the advantages the 480 has.

I have an i5 4690k, 16gb of ram, gigabyte gaming 5 mobo, so no worry of incompatibilities or bottleneck.

sorry for the rumble, as it is right now I'm heavily leaning towards the 1060.

Solution
The thing is most benchmarks on the internet for the RX480 and GTX 1060 are for the reference cards. Usually the partner cards offer a bit more performance. Based on these benchmarks the 1060 is slightly faster then the 480 but not by much and in a few games is slower. But these might change with different cooler designs and higher clock speeds. In my opinion go for the rx 480 nitro + because right now i don't see that much difference between the two.

ShadowPrimeOne

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015
The thing is most benchmarks on the internet for the RX480 and GTX 1060 are for the reference cards. Usually the partner cards offer a bit more performance. Based on these benchmarks the 1060 is slightly faster then the 480 but not by much and in a few games is slower. But these might change with different cooler designs and higher clock speeds. In my opinion go for the rx 480 nitro + because right now i don't see that much difference between the two.

Solution