Rx 480 sapphire nitro vs aftermarket gtx 1060

biskittard

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016
I am struggling to decide which card to get in order to get the best performance out of the upcoming call of duty modern warfare remastered/infinite warfare and the I would also like a fan that is not always on as I run a plex server.

I am between the sapphire nitro rx 480 and one of several of the gtx 1060 aftermarkets.  

So far I have seen the nitro has a backplate and performs similar but draws more power and could get hotter and who knows when it will ever be released.

The gtx 1060 appears to be a little more expensive if I want a backplate or better cooling but people say it is not future proof due to dx12.

Please help!
Thank you!

Solution
Future proofing is going with a card that supports Async compute at the Hardware level and that's not a GTX 1060. Case in point PCgamer just did a Doom Vulkan benchmark and the RX 480 was as much as 50% faster. The MSI RX480 GX is quieter and cooler than the Nitro+ and only loses 2 to 3 FPS at most.

Devs are starting to develope games using DX12 and or vulkan from the get go ( remember just like DX12 is the update for DX11 Vulkan is the update for OpenGL ) and this means you will see gains as much as 40 FPS over GTX 1060 cards ( just look at pcgamers Doom Vulkan benchmarks, the RX was 50% faster than the GTX 1060). More and More DX 12/Vulkan titles will be forthcoming not less. There is no doubt that the GTX 1060 is a better DirectX11...

HeeBeeJeeBee2287

Reputable
Aug 9, 2015
dx12 wouldn't make the 1060 prone from future proofing. In fact, it makes it better. Keep in mind that both cards are dx12 cards. What makes it prone from future proofing is the fact that you can't use 2 1060s in SLI. I would suggest the 480 because it's cheaper, nearly as fast, and has more memory. Also If you have a motherboard that supports Crossfire, you can Crossfire them later.

Epicness937

Honorable
BANNED

yes the 1060 is faster then the 480 but dont get the cheapest aftermarket you can find as some may not have the best cooling
first are you building in a color sceem
2nd do you need a mini 1060?
3rd are you overclocking
given that reviews are not out on a lot of 1060s

FaZ1095

Commendable
Mar 21, 2016

You are safe with EVGA, ASUS, MSI, or Gigabyte. I think Zotac is coming along but you may want to hold off on them for a while and wait for reviews. The others mentioned are always solid.

usermax

Reputable
Jul 26, 2015
Future proofing is going with a card that supports Async compute at the Hardware level and that's not a GTX 1060. Case in point PCgamer just did a Doom Vulkan benchmark and the RX 480 was as much as 50% faster. The MSI RX480 GX is quieter and cooler than the Nitro+ and only loses 2 to 3 FPS at most.

Devs are starting to develope games using DX12 and or vulkan from the get go ( remember just like DX12 is the update for DX11 Vulkan is the update for OpenGL ) and this means you will see gains as much as 40 FPS over GTX 1060 cards ( just look at pcgamers Doom Vulkan benchmarks, the RX was 50% faster than the GTX 1060). More and More DX 12/Vulkan titles will be forthcoming not less. There is no doubt that the GTX 1060 is a better DirectX11 card winning 60% of all games tested using DirectX11 but they are also losing over 80% in all games tested using Directx12 and Vulkan. What games do you think you will see more of being developed? DX11 and openGL or DX12/Vulkan?

Protect your investment and get a card that will grow WITH you not one that is based of old tech and DirextX11/openGL titles. Also having the ability to run two cards is SLI/CrossFire is a huge plus. Devs are also taking Crossfire/sli into account when developing games now so more and more games will support it.

6 months from now the RX 480 should not only beat the GTX 1060 it will down right stomp it as the pcgamer article shows.

when looking at benchmarks make sure you look for the tiny tiny printing that says things like this " tested using DX12 on AMD and DX11 on Nvidia, using the Ultra preset. In this game, DX12 improves AMD performance but reduces Nvidia performance, without changing the rendered output."

Here is a splash of cold water to wake everyone up. ALSO remember this was before AMD's driver update that saw them gain another 13% in performance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOaHpZjQ73M

Solution